Eau Sauvage by DIOR 1966 and Secret Garden Video

Hiya Perfume Junkies,

Firstly, HAPPY JULY 4 USA! Photo Stolen Chiquero

Photo Stolen perfumeshrine

Recently I was lucky enough to grab a sample of Eau Sauvage but gave it to a mate instead of sniffing it myself. Since then it has played on my mind, trying to remember it because I used to wear it back in the late 1980’s and loved it. I happened to grab a SurrenderToChance: Perfumer Guy Robert Selects Perfume Masterpieces 24-Sample Pack and guess what, there it is! Guy Robert (Caleche, Madame Rochas, Dioressence, Amouage Gold) felt Edmond Roudnitska, the perfume genius responsible for Eau Sauvage, had created a masterpiece. Even 46 years later, after IFRA prohibitions and reformulations, it still bears solid traces of its magic and majesty.

Photo Stolen onlyfornow

Belonging to the Citrus Chypre family it opens fresh, bright  herbalcitrus on me, then the flowers which are kept surprisingly cool by carnation and iris root yet buttery warm through the sandalwood & patchouli, it’s interesting the way the flowers work against the green against the woods and herbs before the deep base comes plodding from below giving us the dank river bank near a produce market. This scent is surprisingly country and rural, considering that it’s been the epitome of masculine scent for a cool and classy city slicker.

Photo Stolen Fragrantica

Fragrantica gives the notes/accords as
Top: lemon, basil, bergamot, cumin, lavender, fruit
Heart: Jasmine, rose, carnation, iris root, coriander, patchouli, sandalwood
Base: Oak moss, vetiver, musk, amber

NowSmelllThis and BoisDeJasmine do great reviews, both much more in depth with great historical data included.

As a special treat I’ll leave you with the DIOR Secret Garden movie. Glorious! Raf Simons stamping his modern nod to the houses history quite firmly over his predecessors kooky, often disconnected flamboyance. BAM! Yesterday’s fashion is again today’s news.

I hope you’ve enjoyed our look at Eau Sauvage, I really just wanted an excuse to play that video.

Is there a DIOR in your sights? Are you craving?

22 comments on “Eau Sauvage by DIOR 1966 and Secret Garden Video

1. saffyishere says:

WWWOOOOOWWWW….I believe we may have very similar fumey tastes.I have a card with the very first picture as the three you’ve shown. It was indeed probably the first thing i saw that gave me my gaydar…well i was a late bloomer lol…..as for that video…..stunning,great song with beautiful beautiful architecture

2. annie says:

Since I wear no Diors’ (they wear me)…I have to let you in on a little goodie,that I learned today…I’ve been searching for a ‘summer scent'(I should know better)…and since it has been 100 degrees EVERY DAY,I felt I should ‘lighten’ my scent…I had a Dr’s appt (ick)…As I stepped into the office,a young woman wafted by me,with a sweet 2 yr old,in tow…Oh!!!…A wonderful aroma passed my perfumista nose,and,really,I almost swooned…She had on Bellodgia…just a tad,but,just enough to get a wonderful whiff…nuff’ said about about trying ‘summer scents’…I swear,she could have worn this in the office…I think I’ll file this under ENLIGHTENMENT ;0:):)

3. annie says:

I love citrus & have worn Eau d’Hadrien forever….any recomendations????

• Yes, try Bigarade Concentree by Frederic Malle or Niki de Saint Phalle or for a sweet citrus, fruity change what about Bagley Mischka Parfum. These are all stronger than Eau d’Hadrien and have better staying power. Get 3ml decants from Surrender To Chance or Perfume posse to try them. That’s enough to really try the fragrance but you don’t have a big bottle round the house
      Good luck,

• annie says:

Oh,Lordy…now you know I have to try them ALLLL!!!…I used to wear NDSP,back in the day…I had forgotten about it.but loved it ,as it was so different …..this is always so fun!!!…( did I mention the hunks in your pics….oh,gosh,I’m drooling…snicker,snort…..carry on….

• I think I love you Annie. Hilarious!

4. The hubby was reminiscing about Eau Savage being his favorite in the 80s so I got him a bottle for this birthday. It really is a wonderful classic.

I’ve never tried Eau Sauvage. Why? I have no idea. Some perfumes just passed by without attracting my attention. If I ever come across it, I’ll try it.

• I wish I’d bought a bigger decant, I could have sent you some. BUM,
      I think you will love it Undina. Edmund Roudnitska made absolute magic here.
      Even I smell manly in it, quell surprise!

• Undina says:

Ok, ok, you’ve persuaded me – I’ll find and test it 🙂

• HA ha ha. We are all so naughty aren’t we. I am, laughing Undina. It’s such a joy to share our frag discoveries that we want everyone to enjoy them. They still give out generous samples at the DIOR counter of Eau Sauvage.
        Best of everything to you,

6. Matt says:

Thanks for the Like!

7. Dionne says:

Eau Sauvage wasn’t bad on me, but not my fave, and it’s the vetivers on The Engineer that make me all growly and “get over here.” As far as the house of Dior goes, I skipped past all the femme Diors and bought myself Dior Homme – iris and chocolate and sexiness, oh my! If you’re an iris ho like I am, Dior Homme is definitely worth seeking out, especially pre-reformulation with the silver tube.

8. […] into an art, not just an imitation of nature • L’Heure Bleue – Guerlain 1912 was a miracle • Eau Sauvage – Dior – transformed 200 years of Eau De Colognes into something fresher and longer lasting • […]

9. […] emptying first. I’ve had my fair share of undisclosed affairs with an eau de cologne, a splash of Eau Sauvage here and a another of Eau de Coq there but there is one I return to each and every time: Eau […]

10. […] released in 1953, predates Eau Sauvage by 13 years and yet has remarkable similarities. Tarragon, lavender and cardamom, jasmine, violet […]