Spring Fling with Clayton Ilolahia 2012

Guest Post by Clayton www.whatmenshouldsmelllike.com

Spring Fling

Hi AustralianPerfumeJunkies. Last month I met with your cherished author and we decided to do a blog swap for a post on spring fragrance. For me it is a season of renewal. I love watching the trees that line the city streets, which were stripped of their deciduous clothing by winter, regain their green foliage and celebrate the spring season with bursts of colourful blooms. With nature providing so much visual imagery and scent, it is easy to see why spring is such an exciting season in the perfume industry.

When Portia and I discussed this idea of hijacking each other’s blogs to give a round up of spring suggestions, I had this in mind; I wanted my list to be more than just flowers, I wanted the list to be about seasonal renewal. Each fragrance I have chosen breathes new life into a familiar theme.

Floral

Tom Ford Jonquille de Nuit

Are jonquils the new tuberose? There is always a market for white flowers and for this 2012 release; Tom Ford explores a waxy white floral with green undertones. Jonquille de Nuit is a refreshing addition to any white floral lover’s collection amongst the jasmines, tuberoses and gardenias.

Oriental

Chanel Coco Noir

Every time Coco is looking a little tired, Chanel dusts her off with a flanker. Chanel is describing their new Coco Noir as a luminous oriental. The twist comes at the start with a fresh burst of bitter citrus. As the floral heart moves on, the original Coco peeks out at you wrapped in powdery tonka bean.

Woods

Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisée

I was a fan of the original and this latest offering by Guerlain is, in my opinion, the most interesting Guerlain Homme flanker yet. They’ve stripped out some of the sugary mojito juice in favour of an aromatic accord laced with wood. It’s an easy fragrance to wear, a great option for the aussie bloke (does he still exist?)

Chypre

Parfums MDCI Chypre Palatin

Many perfume fans are lamenting the death of the Chypre style since IFRA regulated the use of oakmoss in perfume. Modern chypres lack the mossy base provided by their unregulated predecessors. For Chypre Palatin, perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour cleverly reworks the Chypre concept to overcome the obvious. It’s a paradox of classic and new ideas. While Chypre Palatin feels so familiar at the beginning, Duchaufour takes chypre to a whole new place as the fragrance evolves.

Fougere

Christian Dior Eau Noire

While this is not a new fragrance it still continues to push the definition of a fougere. Described as an oriental fougere, Eau Noire was made for Dior by Francis Kurkdjian before he went off to do his own thing. It’s a kind of curried lavender, owing to the rich use of immortelle. I love to wear this in the warmer months.

Thanks for reading and I wish you all the very best for the spring season ahead. Let Portia and I know by commenting, if you have other suggestions for spring. Also, check out Portia’s list over at What Men Should Smell Like (www.whatmenshouldsmelllike.com)

Best,
Clayton

PS Here is a jump to our APJ Interview with Clayton if you would like to read further about this interesting, urbane, clever and sexy man.
All perfume pics from Fragrantica. Clayton supplied his portrait.

16 comments on “Spring Fling with Clayton Ilolahia 2012

1. Jordan River says:

There you have it. Jonquils are the new white.

2. sinnerman01 says:

Hey Clayton ! Great post , I’m so impressed you have smelt Tom Ford JdN , I was only asking about its release today in Sydney and the answer was December ! It sounds beautiful and I’m mad on every thing Tom does! I guess he is my Co Co Chanel. I have been lucky enough to collect some vials of TV and TL, own love TF ext and BO ! My partner bought me Azuree lime this year for valentines and it’s a live wire , wish I had a giant bottle of it! 🙂
    Well done on your blog, (link to interview) I was reading your post on Egoiste and Sycomore durning the week! Two more children of mine, thanks for sharing your passion!
    Tim

• Hey Tim, thanks for the feedback. It’s great to have such enthusiastic people reading and commenting. I’m sure Portia feels the same. I was in London on Sunday so did a quick sweep around the perfume floor of Harrods to see what was new and what had not reached Australian shores yet. Jonquille de Nuit was what I came away with. The TF counter said Cafe Rose was the best seller of these new additions, but I felt Jonquille was more original. Cafe Rose is the ever popular rose-wood-resin accord and instead of oud it’s laced with coffee.

You may need to start saving Tim- lots of new TFs to tickle your fancy. I’m curious to smell the new men’s TF which is still not available in Europe.

Best,
      Clayton

• sinnerman01 says:

TF noir will be a instant perchase! It’s like buying a concert ticket, I just wouldnt miss it! My budget does not allow private collection perchases, thou I ask for a mini decant of P C when I perchase from the more affordable line! Hope I can get a sample when I buy Noir! Catch u on your blog, “viva” spring

3. I was timing my post with Portia however I set my alarm 24 hour too late. Lol, sorry Portia, punctuality has never been my strong point!

Portia’s post is live on What Men Should Smell Like for those APJies that wish to wander over and have a read.

Enjoy your weekends!
    Clayton

We’re heading into fall and winter here. I’m dreading the winter part. I do wear some spring and summer scents this time of year though. They help boost the mood. The Tom Ford sounds worth a sniff. I love some of his scents and some are scrubbers on me. Enjoy your spring and thanks for the post.

5. Madeleine says:

I am loving the sound of the Tom Ford Jonquille de Nuit! Clayton/Portia: any idea when it will be available here? Cheers, Madeleine x

• Hi Madeleine, Tim mentioned he was in DJs today and they said December. You would hope it would arrive sooner! I loved JdN on the counter and made an impulse buy. My first wear I thought I had mad a mistake and now it has grown on me again. I’m enjoying that it is a hard one for my nose to pin down. It fluctuates between a creamy white tuberose floral with waxy jonquil sides and a green hyacinthy/muguet background (notice I just called it 5 different flowers which is a sign I should probably shut up)…. but I am enjoying this confusion. It’s been a while since a floral has had me on my toes like this.

I hope I haven’t over hyped it for everyone. Just go in with no expectations and see if it takes your fancy : )

6. laniersmith says:

Clayton you make my mouth water with you list of lush delights for the southern spring. I am jut so thrilled to see that mademoiselle Coco Noir is at the party.