Private Blend Arabian Wood by Tom Ford 2009

Hey Hey APJ Family,

Joel, the lovely SA at the Tom Ford counter in DJ’s Sydney City, was very generous last time I was in. The least I can do in return is wear the samples that I scored and it’s no hardship to do so. I have long admired Tom Ford and his amazing style and savvy, he makes it seem effortless butI’m under no illusions, the man is beautiful, clever, gifted, driven and lucky. I think he must have sold his soul, and that it was a particularly good one because the returns on his sale/investment are awesome.

Tom Ford Photo stolen acorn-mg

I had very specific expectations of Arabian Wood, I purposely didn’t read notes or other blogs till my second wear and I agree with Victoria of EauMG that Arabian Wood is a misleading name for this fragrance. This is an extremely good example of a modern chypre, a style mainly dead due to IFRA regulations about oak moss: the wailing and gnashing of teeth can still be heard around the world. Private Blend Arabian Wood by Tom Ford should be on your “Must Try List” because in this day & age I am surprised at how well he has sculpted a Next Generation Chypre, reminiscent of some of the greatest but so modern and wearable.

Photo Stolen Fragrantica

Fragrantica gives these featured accords:
Lavender, bergamot, galbanum, Bulgarian rose, May rose, rose absolute, freesia, orange blossom, ylang ylang, jasmine, gardenia, honey, orris, patchouli, cedar, oak moss, sandalwood, tonka bean and amber.

I really enjoy the opening rush of Private Blend Arabian Wood by Tom Ford, I love its old school mans cologne action made exquisite. Lavender, rose and sexy jasmine/gardenia/orange blossom/ylang ylang bouquet fight through the masculinity and take us to a decidedly, historically feminine place that is dead sexy on a guy and epic on a woman. As the bouquet pumps its glorious sexy beat in flows the honey and roses to wind sinuously around and through giving a sparkle here and a golden glow there, the rose is spicy, almost tea-ish and there is greenery too, the bitter tang of a torn leaf. I am lost for minutes at a time just huffing away at myself, big long deep breath in and near moans of ecstasy out. This honeyed floral symphony lasts for ages and soon we see the woody resins, vanilla and amber make their way out from under the rest of the team and taking their turn to shine, they don’t completely take over for hours though, there is loads of interesting by play before the flowers give up their struggle for supremacy and softly slide into the background behind the smooth, warm and cuddly base that seems to be here to stay forever.

Photo Stolen cyprus-paradise

Private Blend Arabian Wood by Tom Ford is not exactly a powerhouse fragrance but it is way too strong for a close work office and I would think twice before wearing it to a dinner because, make no mistake, you will be fragrant. Excellent sillage and a decent scent bubble will turn heads.

NowSmellThis does a great review too.
ThePerfumedCourt has Private Blend Arabian Wood by Tom Ford samples 1ml/$7.24

My day has been pretty good, I hope yours has too, and that it is great till we see you tomorrow.
If you want more Portia today I am Guest Posting on Perfume Posse, do pop over and have a squiz, leave me a comment so I know you’ve been.
Thanks for being part of out APJ family, we are really grateful.
Love,

Here is a little video present. It’s a minute long, not music, religious or a joke. Something we should always keep top of mind though.

22 comments on “Private Blend Arabian Wood by Tom Ford 2009

1. Jordan River says:

It’s A Beautiful Day Portia.

2. Dionne says:

I was initially going to grumble a bit about Tom Ford and some of his ads, but then saw that lovely video…… naah, I’m good. Portia, you write so that the lines I haven’t even bothered with sound tempting.

• I just wrote you an awesome reply and the computer ate it Dionne. Annoying much?
      Basically it said, I agree, grumble, grumble, grumble. Thank all the Gods that we can see, smell and afford computers.
      That is the nutshell version,

3. Lindaloo says:

Thank you for the video, Portia.

4. sinnerman01 says:

Great post (as always) I gave a little vial of AW as well from the lovely Joel ! It does smell so retro at the start ! Wooden guns blazing , am yet to test it as I’m currently in a all out leather obsession ,
    And that video is a gem , this is why I love APJ because u just never know what u have in your little sequined bag if tricks ! U are the difference in this world madam ! <3

5. Musette says:

Portia, that was a wonderful wakeup call. Thank you!

Tom Ford (I almost wrote Tom Wood 😀 gets on my Very Last Nerve but there’s no denying that he’s put out some wonderful scents. I haven’t tried this one because..well, the name caused me to give it short shrift. Next time I’m in civ, though, I’ll try it – cuz Lawd knows I love a good chypre!!!

xoxoxoA

6. Musette says:

and, of course, I now that an earworm of Norwegian Wood, which is just stupid. I need to go to bed! xoxoxoA

7. Tatiana says:

Thanks for that video!
    Tom Ford… hmm… Does he have a bit of an ego? I guess. But he was blessed with looks, some talent and he’s figured out how to promote both. Is everything he creates or licenses to be created in his name fantastic? No, but when it’s good, it’s amazingly, beautiful out of this world good.
    I love a good chypre. And this is a chypre? Hmm, I thought it would be an Oud scent. Guess I will have to seek it out next time I’m in the City and give it a try.

• Hiya Tatiana,
      Yes, Tom Ford is pretty full of himself but you are right, when he gets it right it is beyond amazing. His misses I tend to forget so until you remind me it all seems apples.
      Great to see and you and when you get to town to try his stuff please give me a holla to tell me what you thought,

8. Ann-Sofie says:

That video….thanks Portia!

I’ll try this Tom Ford, I could really have use of some wood.

First – thank you for sharing this video.

Now, back to our business. I love Tom Ford (as a brand). There are many perfumes in his both lines that work for my skin. Arabian Wood is my most favorite in the line. Even though I have a spray decant of it I prefer wearing it dabbed. It plays very beautifully on my skin. I do not get overwhelmed by this scent. I’m glad you liked it, Portia.

10. […] reviews my most favorite perfume from Tom Ford’s Private Blends collection: Arabian Wood by Tom Ford should be on your “Must Try List” because in this day & age I am s… For my take on this perfume read Weeklong Test Drive, Episode 4.3: Noir de Noir, Oud Wood and […]