Bridal Fragrances and Pronovias 2013 Bridalwear Show

Hi Frag Hags,

It seems to be one of the eternal questions. What fragrance do I wear on my wedding day? There are blogs devoted to it, posts are often citing it, Perfume Posse is doing something MI5-ish about it, Alyssa Harad wrote a book “Coming To My Senses” which ended up being about it. It is still illegal in Australia for gays to marry and doesn’t look like changing soon. Never the less I am often asked what a bride should wear scent wise and I am kind of stumped.

Old school says tuberose, orange blossom and lily are enticing and sexually alluring. Some say wear a special fragrance that will always be in your memory of the day. Others question why you would wear something different to what you’d wear every day, don’t you want your partner to recognise you? There is a different camp that says keep it minimal because you don’t want to offend anyone or skunk the congregation.

What would I wear? I have absolutely no idea. Let me think…… I would want to layer my scent with bath products, moisturiser and fragrance matching or at least complimenting, so I get extra long frag life and only need minimal respritzes.

Trouble by Boucheron I have the set and adore the fragrance. Trouble would probably win because I always feel like me but better when I wear it but with no expectations or need to work extra hard. This is one of my all time go to frags.

Shalimar by Guerlain I have a 1980’s Shalimar soap and a soft vanilla & honey moisturiser that I wear under it when I need extra long frag life. This would be like having my Mum and her buddies at the wedding, it was their fragrance and now is mine. So good, often for no reason at all except I want to smell gorgeous.

Mohur by Neela Vermeire Creations I layer over Korres Japanese Rose products, they are excellent companions. Mohur would help me to feel like a complete Princess, it always does.

Halle by Halle Berry has an incredible moisturiser too, it goes on and sinks in like a soft silicone glove and smells terrific. I love that this product costs almost nothing and can sit on my skin like one of the big pricey frags. It has depth, character and a wonderful scent story for peanuts. Legend has it that Halle worked with the perfumers for over a year before she was satisfied, it feels like the truth.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood I have a set and the moisturiser is glorious, I need to get some more. This may be a little in your face skank for a wedding but it would be memorable.

There you go, my current top 5 Wedding Fragrances. Have you thought about it for yourself? What did you wear for your wedding? What do you wish you’d worn? Do you have a Top 5 Wedding List? I would love to read your thoughts, lists, wishes. please leave them in the comments below because this should be a conversation.

Below is an incredible 6 minute best of Pronovias Bridal Show with some of modeling’s biggest shining stars wearing the most sumptuous and elegant wedding gowns, and some freaky shockers too. Enjoy!

Till tomorrow, take care of yourselves and those around you.

All Gown Photos Stolen Pronovias

Pronovias 2013 Bridalwear Show (Stolen from Fashion&StyleGuru)

23 comments on “Bridal Fragrances and Pronovias 2013 Bridalwear Show

1. Margeaux says:

Those wedding dresses were amazing, stunning and gorgeous.

2. Andrea wilko says:

For the life of me I can’t remember what I wore on my wedding but it was 17 years ago and I was not really into perfumes at the time. I have a feeling it was versace blond but I could be wrong and who knew I started out with such loud tastes in perfume.
    If (notice the emphasis is on IF) I ever got married again then my choice is easy and a no brainer, it would be la femme bleue as it is beautiful and elegant and timeless, something I would want to be on my wedding day. Oh if I ever did do it again I would be wearing that first dress as it is divine.

3. Jackieb says:

An interesting question…I tend to think of white floral as being a bit girly and innocent, neither of which I was when I got married!!
    I wish I could remember what I sprayed on, it was pre-perfume addiction. I might go for memorable like an Amouage now.
    Love your thoughts on layering and wish more fragrance houses did this!

Hey JackieB,
      Amouage would certainly be a memorable wear for such an important day. You could get the people at the end of each row to spritz a decant as you appear so EVERYONE could smell you arrive.
      I do love a layered day, don’t you?

What did I wear for my wedding? I think I wore Angel and skunked the crowd. Honestly though I’m not sure what I wore. It must have been Angel though because that was my favorite at the time. Probably not the first choice for most brides but it worked for me. Those gowns are lovely. Mine had lots of lace and some sparkle. I was not passing up my one opportunity to be a princess. No plain, simple gown for me. I figured I’d morph into a frumpy housewife soon enough so I wanted to sparkle that day. My gown did have long sleeves though. I would have frozen to death otherwise. I’m always cold and even on my wedding day I was not sacrificing comfort.

Hey poodle,
      I bet you WERE a princess. the dress sounds gorgeous and I think long sleeves are a good choice, demure, even if the neckline is cut to the waist. He he

5. Dionne says:

Like some of the other commenters, I wasn’t into perfume at the time I was married. If I was to ever do it again (theoretically of course, the idea of not being with The Engineer is…. horrible to even contemplate) the choice is easy. Ormonde Woman. Because it’s my bespoke perfume. 😉 I could see myself springing for the parfum concentration for something like that though.

Like poodle I had long sleeves on my dress, which I’ve noticed is pretty much not even an option anymore which seems odd to me. I got married in February, and short sleeves? Brrrrr. Mine was simple, which felt fresh and new after the glitz and glitter of the 80’s. Shantung silk with a dropped waist and a simple round neckline with pearls around the edge, although big puffy sleeves and a full skirt. Wouldn’t be my choice now, but I adored my dress at the time.

Oh Dionne,
      It sounds lovely and so of the time while remaining timeless. I bet you were glorious!
      Ormonde Woman is your bespoke perfume. That’s quite a frag, especially for a wedding. Great choice. and of course it is your bespoke!
      Portia x

6. Ann-Sofie says:

What about Estee Lauder Knowing? Highly potent unisex mossy leather rose with radiant sillage and duration. Perfect marriage material.

I have never smelt Knowing, I will remedy tomorrow. Alweays get taken by something else at the EL counter.

Portia x

• Ann-Sofie says:

Yes, please do, if you have the opportunity. Wait for 45 minutes and then….wohaa! If you try it, it would be nice to hear what you think, even if you don’t appreciate it much.

Portia, I like this blog of yours very much – true pleasure and a joy to read (often make me giggle). Thanks!

I’m glad you enjoy the blog. It brings me enormous pleasure too, and sometimes a giggle.
        I will try and score a sample of Knowing and review it for you.

• Ann-Sofie,
      I have just ordered a Parfum Mini of Knowing. I will blog about the outcome.

7. Lemon says:

I really did not like those capes or the veils that looked like shroud, but if I ever marry again I’m wearing the dress at 3:47 on the video. And I’ll be wearing Chaos. I love Boudoir, too, but you get really hot under the dress, especially once the dancing starts, and wouldn’t want to suffocate anyone.

HA HA HA!! Suffocate anyone! HA HA!
      I love the capes Lemon and am going to incorporate one into my next outfit, I think they would be beautiful at a beach wedding. I don’t know Chaos but I think it’s an eexcellently ironic name for a wedding day frag.
      Portia x

8. vinery says:

I agree with the “wear what you always wear” philosophy. I wore Obsession to my wedding in 1994, as that was my signature scent at the time and I wore it everywhere, day and night. (Never wear it now–got tired of it.) My gown had long sleeves, a boat neck, and a gored skirt.

Hi Vinery,
      I love boat necks, so simple and flattering. Obsession would have been lovely for your wedding, you would have felt comfortable and yourself. How long since you’ve sniffed Obsession? I complimented a lady at the cash register recently because she smelled divine. Guess what? Obsession. Still smells amazing,

9. ladyjicky says:

I wore Infini by Caron on my wedding day – it was a long time ago and it was a better scent then!

Today I would go a tuberose … maybe Goutal’s Tuberose.

I love Caron fragrances, even in their new editions. Today though I have been wearing Vintage Caron Bellodgia Oil, it is incredible.
      I also like the Annick Goutal range and think Tuberose a great choice.