Gilded Lily by INeKE Ruhland 2010

Hello APJ Family,

I was blissfully unaware of this line of fragrance till Lanier posted about Field Notes From Paris (FNFP). Righto said I, better try this, sounds rather good. I did and was blown away by the quality, story and beauty of FNFP and have tried it a few times since because it did not then or now capture my heart. Not the fragrances problem, it has everything I wish for in a personal scent except I don’t love it. Since then I have also been trying…..

Gilded Lily by INeKE

Photo Stolen Fragrantica

Fragrantica gives these featured accords:
Top: Pineapple, rhubarb, grapefruit, elemi
Heart: Goldband lily
Base: Patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum

Ha ha Ha I love the opening of sweet tinned pineapple and slightly tart grapefruit with beautiful, resinous elemi keeping it from slipping into modern fruity sugar nightmare. I wouldn’t know what fresh rhubarb smelled like if you hit me with some and I can’t smell the rhubarb from apple & rhubarb pie that Mum used to make. No matter the opening is FAN TAS TIC! Makes me want to respritz again and again. This glorious opening is just for the wearer though because within ten minutes the outrageousness has settled into a very pretty fruity floral and a cool, calm and collected lily steps up and ever so gradually takes centre stage and the whole fragrance takes about 6 notches down. This is a good thing because that initial fireworks section would have many people gasping for air.

Once the opening craziness ends Gilded Lily (which is a FABULOUS Drag name BTW) becomes almost skin scentish. It is the way I dream my skin smells, the lily is so soft and the base notes so airy that though I am still fragrant and will give a lovely sillage, up close it is soft enough to believe it could just be me with a very slight residue of my floral/fruit fragrance. Lasting power is good in this stage at somewhere between 4-7 hours depending on the day and my original spritzes. It’s leather more than anything else at the end, soft well loved leather that has been a seasons firm favourite and started to take on the wearers scent and fragrance a little.

Photo Stolen from wetcanvas

Only the most fragrance phobic or closest of work environs would have a problem with this lovely scent. A great all round beauty that has enough story to keep a perfumista interested but is pretty enough for a non perfume hound to enjoy it too. Have I mentioned that incredibly desirable bottle? It’s not often I like the soft ones but Gilded Lily has a quiet dignity, an aloof warmth that I think is extremely alluring and provocative without trying. Bravo INeKE! You have captured my heart and all it took was a Gilded Lily.

For further reading try TheNonBlonde or CaFleurBon

INeKE has 75ml $95 and a wonderful World Stockists page
Anthropologie has the range including the Sample Set and ships worldwide
SurrenderToChance starts at $3/ml

Which ones from the INeKE range have you tried? Is there a quiet fragrance that surprised you with its beauty? Tell us in the comments below please, we love to chat!

Till tomorrow we wish you well,

25 comments on “Gilded Lily by INeKE Ruhland 2010

1. masha7 says:

I love this lily, though my favorite lily of all time is Donna Karan’s Gold. I have 3 backup bottles of that one, ha! This a quieter, less fetid and ambered lily, very presentable (after the delightful but pungent opening) at church or the office. The other one from her line that I really enjoy is the new Hothouse Flower. Have you tried that one yet? It’s got a crazy, bang-up opening as well, that dries down to a lovely, quiet gardenia. I’m wondering if the wild opening/ quiet drydown is an Ineke thing….

• masha7 says:

PS: You’re right about that name! I’ll bet there are a few Gilded Lilies out there right now, putting on some wonderful shows -I’m sure there’s at least one headlining at a club in South Beach, Miami-…if not, there should be!

• I am yet to try Hothouse flower but i think it is one of Undina’s favourites and have a decant here that6 I will get to soon.
      I also have a DK Gold in EdT & EdP form. I find the EdT to be fuller and more potent on my skin and over all a better fragrance. You?

• masha7 says:

I love both, but it’s weird that a lot of people did not like the EdT and screamed “Cucumber!”- I don’t get cucumber from the EdT at all, and I think it has more light and sparkle, while the EdP is richer and more “wintery”. I do like the EdP bottle better, though, with all that gold!

• Yeah, the EdP bottle is the reason I’ve kept it in the collection. beautiful. I’m going back to find that cucumber, it never hit me.

2. Dionne says:

Sigh. I have yet to find ANY lilies that can work on my skin. Lys Soleil? Nope. DK Gold? Nope. Lys Mediterranee? Nopity nope.

I have a lot of respect for Ineke Ruhland for her affordable line and well-done aesthetic, but this was a no-go for me.

• NO LILLIES!!!! Oh Dionne, do they turn to cats wee?
      Portia x

• Undina says:

I have to start with saying that I do not like lily perfumes so it’s not a real suggestion but just a thought: have you tried Baiser Volé by Cartier and the latest Tom Ford’s Lys Fume?

• Baiser Vole is winging its wat to me as we write but I am slowly making my way through the TF catalogue to get up to date,
        There is SO MUCH to sniff and I only have so much time and skin Undina.
        He He He First World problems,

• Dionne says:

I haven’t tried either of those yet, Undina, thanks for the suggestions. It’s a mystery why none of the stores up here, even Holt Renfrew, carry Baiser Volé, since they have others from the Cartier line; and I haven’t ordered Tom Ford samples online (his stuff isn’t found up here) either. I’ll add both to my “lily” category on my spreadsheet. 😉

3. Ineke’s line is so sweet! I just wish that the fragrances clicked with me more . . .

I love Ineke. I bought a bottle of FNFP. Hubby liked Derring-Do. This one, Gilded Lily is really nice. I’m a fan of Hothouse Flower too. Actually the only scent in the line I don’t care too much for is Evening Edged in Gold.
    Gilded Lily would be a great drag name.

5. Kimberly says:

My favorite is Evening Edged in Gold. Love the scent and the bottle. Then Sweet William came along, a different take on the same theme, and I had to have that one too! Whereas EEIG is a burst of saffron and levitating to just about where the branches of the trees begin, SW is clove and cinnamon and the growing earth.

Gilded Lily is the only perfume from Ineke that I actively disliked when I tried it. I should probably retry it now, two years later…

7. laniersmith says:

Darling I am so happy you found true love with miss Gilded Lilly! I am in some place called Dallas Texas for one day at a wedding…..where is the ocean??

8. I’ll be sure to try this one. I had a quick sniff of the Ineke line last time I was in Liberty – as I’m head over heels for the bottles! Unfortunately the scents weren’t really my taste (just like you mentioned) – but maybe I need to give them more time. I wanted After My Own Heart – just for the name alone! And the FNFP has such a beautiful bottle D: !!! But the scent didn’t really work for me. Evening Edged In Gold had a beautifulllll opening but faded and turned a little soapy very quickly. I’m convinced I want one of these so will sniff them all again next time i’m in London 😛
    Thanks for the heads up on this!

9. […] been stopped by something else that completely takes your fancy? I was going looking for my INeKE Gilded Lily to spend a little more time in its glorious company when I came across a frag that I had wanted to […]