Les Deserts D’Orient by Thierry Wasser for Guerlain 2012 LIVE Video Sniff

YIPEE! Welcome back,

EmmaKate and I are back in front of the camera proving to one and all that we love perfume but know only the outer edges of anything important relating to it. This time we put the Guerlain Les Deserts D’Orient under our microscope.

Photo Stolen aromamore

Yes, we know that bois means wood, now! Ha Ha Ha what a pair of dunderheads. Doesn’t matter. Enjoy this for what it is. Two mates having a sniff after work and a couple of bevvies, you are supposed to feel like you’re sitting at the table with us having a crisp, dry white/scotch/coffee/sparkling mineral water and we are all having a first go together. If it was perfect it wouldn’t be so much fun.

As always special thanks need to go out to Kath for filming and editing, EmmaKate for being a good sport and Jin for making it blog ready. Thanks gang!!

Gerome, The Harem Bath Stolen melbourneblogger

Here is a short featured accords list for each from 1000Flowers:
Rose Nacrée du Désert: Ispahan rose, saffron, patchouli, oudh, benzoin.
Songe d’un Bois d’été: cedar, jasmine, saffron, cardamom, leather, laurel leaf, oudh, myrrh, patchouli, leather.
Encens Mythique d’Orient: frankincense, musk, neroli, moss, saffron, Ispahan rose, amber

For further reading see 1000Flowers and OlfactoriasTravels

SurrenderToChance has a pack of all 3 at $13/.5ml of each

Whatever you do between now and tomorrow when you come back, make sure you take the time to do something YOU love. Even though you may be shit at it, like we are at doing perfume videos sometimes.

20 comments on “Les Deserts D’Orient by Thierry Wasser for Guerlain 2012 LIVE Video Sniff

1. Emma Mylonas says:

What do you mean your shit at perfume sniffing and/or videos?! 🙂 Loved it! If only I had half your knowledge and talent for sniffing…
    Keep up the great work!

Your videos are so much fun. I know I say it every time but it’s true. You always make me laugh. I love your descriptions of scents because you break them down in a way that totally makes sense to me. I’m curious now to see how these differ from other Guerlain scents.

3. arline says:

Oh how I love you!!!!! smiles smiles smiles!!!!

4. Ramona says:

Portia, once again you have made my morning coffee almost leave my body through my nostrils as I snorted in laughter mid-sip! Love the way you give yourself over 100% to the sniff testing. You and your friends ROCK the video sniff sessions!

• SORRY Ramona. We do love sniffing this shit though, I’m glad it gives you a snort. When we watch them back the first time we can’t believe the utter crap that comes out of our mouths and laugh heartily at ourselves too.
      Thank you for coming over and saying HI it’s always nice to have you,

5. Tatiana says:

I always love your sniff videos. This one is just as wonderful. Thanks for starting my day off on a lovely note!

6. laniersmith says:

Darling I love it! You and EmmaKate are a treasure together. These sound out of this world wonderful. I myself have fallen down the Oud hole (ewww! that sounds dirty) so I am on board with
    Rose Nacrée du Désert and Songe d’un Bois d’été and I am in need of a trip to Neimans Guerlain counter for a sniff-fest. Portia is is always lovely to see you in the morning. When are you coming to SF? I want to take you all around Union Square when you get here.

• laniersmith says:

PS…. don’t sweat the Bois …I for the longest time thought it meant “Park” as in Bois de Boulogne. And I studied French in high school!

• HAH! I don’t sweat it but I think you need to be forewarned that we are not exactly on point for the whole video and a few grains of salt help your viewing pleasure. It’s also funnier to be prepped a little for the gags, even though we do them unwittingly. Know what I mean?

• Hey Lanier,
      Nothing is set in stone but I’m hoping for late April, it depends on how crazy we go in Europe and Korea in January and February. If I can be a little bit sensible then USA here I come,
      Hopefully we’ll be catching up with the POSSE there too.

7. Dionne says:

I love these. You know that by now, I’m sure, as you can hear me laughing from here. And boy, hearing you and EmmaKate talk, I sure miss my MIL. You would’ve loved her: classy without being pretentious, fiercely intelligent, a goofy sense of humor and one of the kindest people you’ll ever meet.

And you like Terry Pratchett? Who knew? Do you have a fave Discworld character or book? For me, it’s a toss-up between Granny Weatherwax and the Wee Free Men.

• OMG! I LOVE Granny Weatherwax I aspire to be her in so many ways but usually end up being Nanny Ogg or Magrat.
      I love the wee Free Men’s Queen, Death and his family, Rincewind and Two Flower, OH GOD! I love them all. Many of my books are second and some third generation because they fall apart after many rereads.
      Thanks for loving our Videos. One day I hope to have you in one,

🙂 I’m not sure you even need to discuss specific perfumes: the process itself is really entertaining.

Before I saw your post, I chose to test Encens Mythique d’Orient – my favorite out of the three. I also think it’s very feminine but I had a very strange reaction to it from one of my co-workers (she’s a friend, so it wasn’t a mean comment): she thought it smelled very masculine “the way it usually smells in Macy’s men fragrance department”. Go figure 🙂

9. OK… once again you have me hooked. I wanted to be able to reach into the screen and smell your arms. These are going on my to test list!