Le Parfum EdP by Francis Kurkdjian for Elie Saab 2011

Hey Hey Lovely Fragrant Friends,

I have taken a while longer than the rest of you to get to Elie Saab. Some of my beautiful trivia ladies were extolling its virtues when it first came out and I loved it on them. It seemed that mainstream had hit a terrific winner and I was glad for the regular fragrance shoppers of the world that they were being offered something lovely, wearable and interesting compared to a lot of the other stuff we are all offered daily. I never seemed to get it on my skin though, so here goes.

Le Parfum EdP by Elie Saab 2011

ElieSaabEdT FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Fragrantica gives these featured accords:
Top: Mandarin blossom
Heart: Orange blossom, gardenia
Base: Vetiver, rose, honey

I can totally see why everyone went crazy for Elie Saab. It’s sweet, pretty, translucent and hefty. It is white blossom tamed and prettified, a sexless rendering which makes it seem both sophisticated and youthful. Fresh and dewy while feeling so perfectly put together and seamless that it should cost far more than it does. It has a story, is entrancing and lasts for ages.  Blossom, white blossom, lovely and pure white blossom with only the slightest trace of something herbaceous to keep it grounded.

Wearable anytime and for any occasion. I love Elie Saab.

FrancisKurkdjian ForbesPhoto Stolen Forbes

Further reading PerfumeShrine and Olfactoria’sTravels
FragranceNet has 50ml EdP around $80 before discount
MyPerfumeSamples has EdP starting $2/ml but I bought $7/5ml

ES EDT 400X265.inddPhoto Stolen hauteliving

Were you an Elie Saab convert?
Here is a sneaky look at the Elie Saab S/S 13 Show. YUMMY!
Take care till tomorrow,

Elie Saab | Spring Summer 2013 Full Fashion Show

19 comments on “Le Parfum EdP by Francis Kurkdjian for Elie Saab 2011

1. lorraine says:

I’m behind on getting to this one too. Is it recognizable orange blossom (FK’s favorite!) or is it so blended that it just reads as ‘white flower’?

I loved the opening on this but then it didn’t love me back. It turned really sharp and unpleasant. My guess is the rose note went sour on me which is pretty typical for me. I’ve smelled it on other people and thought it wonderful so I was sad when it didn’t work.

3. Natalie says:

I was not a convert on this one. It just didn’t work for me, but it does seem to have grabbed a fan base who will keep buying it, so at least it will theoretically have some longevity.

4. Vanessa says:

I guess I was also ahead of the game getting this one, around the time of Elie Saab’s launch in Europe. But I have been increasingly going off it – it seems a bit plasticky to my nose now. This is a cause of great concern, not least because I was given a very generous decant of it by a mutual friend. ; – ) It is only the EDP I know, mind you. And maybe I need the summer weather to return, which is when I first fell for it…

5. The Dandy must confess to having been a little of a snob about this one – made cynical by recent hits I thought it’s success must somehow indicate that it was sub-standard (isn’t it strange how one’s mind works sometimes).
    However, the pyramid does read beautifully and it seems to sit in a new micro-niche of floral female almost nouveau chypres – I’m thinking Chloe l’Eau – that thus far I’ve found to be eminently wearable for men.
    Wonder if there are any thoughts on whether this is quite unisex, I’ll certainly give it a squirt now…
    Yours ever
    The Perfumed Dandy

• Hey PD,
      I like it and wear it more when in man mode than otherwise. It is fresh and sweet, a pairing usually designed to send me cringing and gagging. Here it works, for me anyway.
      Try it, and come tell me how you fared.
      I’m not sure it fits modern chypre properly for me but maybe for you it will.

I didn’t mind this one but it has never captured me the way it has with many others. It’s nice, I do not mind it but I have absolutely no desire or reason to wear it. I’m still glad it had been released: it’s a much better perfume than most current mainstream offerings.

7. It’s not for me, but my mother very much likes it. She is a big fresh, white floral fan.

• Hey BaconBiscuit2
      It seems to be incredible on the over 40’s. Good on the youth but something about it is really revealed on grown ups. Give your Mum a big kiss from me, not that I know her, and tell her I love a hefty white floral too.

• I will! While I was flying home for Christmas, I started wondering where my perfume habit came from. Then I walked into my mother’s bathroom and saw 15+ bottles of white florals on a tray 🙂 I will pass on the kiss!

8. susan says:

I have the body lotion in this one – got it for free with another purchase as Saks. It’s OK, but something about the whole thing smells oddly synthetic at times. I like it, but I don’t love it.