Dry Wood by Ramon Monegal 2012

Hello Frag Hags and Friends,

When Ramon Monegal released their fragrances I thought they made a decided tactical blunder: 14 new fragrances all at once was overwhelming and the few reviews they got either had all 14 mashed together with a paragraph each or they zoomed in on the 4 most interesting/outrageous/perfumista-ish of them. I wish, for them and me, that they had released three a year over five years. That way I definitely would have tried more than one of their fragrances already. What has inspired me today? Birgit from Olfactoria’s Travels added a large sample in her perfume gift pack and after reading her absolute dismissal of the fragrance I am intrigued.

Dry Wood by Ramon Monegal

Dry Woods Ramon Monegal fragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Fragrantica gives these featured accords in one line:
Citron, bay leaf, pepper, moss, sandalwood, cedar, cashmeran, amber, woody notes and satureja

Firstly, I think Dry Wood is a rotten misnomer. Dry Wood is neither specifically Dry or Woodsy, at least not till the very end. Maybe this is why Birgit was so dismissive. Dry Wood opens with a very old fashioned masculine citrus and herbs, the kind of scent reminiscent of something that you can buy very inexpensively at the drug store but smoother, the herbs are green and interesting and there is a very human breath-ish something in there too. The pepper is wet and spicy and I think there is a watery (not water but wetness) feel too, which is why I don’t get the name. Here we have a beautiful spring meadow after rain and we’re driving through it in a new convertible so we also get the torn grass, wildflowers and earth. The sun is shining coolly and as we drive up to the house there is a woodpile all freshly chopped and ready for the fire. As Dry Wood dries down there is a warming by the amber and slight drying towards woodiness but I would have called this Spring Fling or Country Cottage.

Dry Wood Ramon Monegal 1ms.netPhoto Stolen 1ms.net

Personally, I have enjoyed this ride immensely and will use up my sample in a jiffy. It is a reinvention of barbershop fragrance, classy, interesting and absolutely wearable. I could imagine this going on after sport or gym and going back to work having people ask what smells so damn good. Great date frag too. Ladies, don’t be shy here, you will find this beautiful too.

I thought these two short reviews so fabulously different that I wanted to include them both:
BoisDeJasmine: Dry Wood contains a sharp and bracing white sandalwood note beneath a flurry of pine/turpentine “aftershave” notes. This is the most masculine and the least softly focused of the line.  It’s a bit sharp at the edges, but this is a quality I find stimulating.  I easily used up the sample; while I might not wear this with a gown, I found its stereotypical “male” aesthetic pleasing (I like sharp sandalwood).
Olfactoria’sTravels: Dry Wood: This is the only one of the fourteen I absolutely hate. It is a harsh, overly manly, wooden “screecher” of a scent. It smells artificial and frankly, cheap. Well, every line has to have a bummer and for me, this is it. But one out of fourteen is not a bad cut.

slice of dry wood timber natural backgroundPhoto Stolen colourbox

LuckyScent has $185/50ml and samples
Ramon Monegal has 107,44€/50ml (not available to Australia sadly)

Which of the line did you try? I really want one of their gorgeous bottles in my collection so I’m going to have to try them all.

26 comments on “Dry Wood by Ramon Monegal 2012

1. cookie queen says:

I tried the Patchouli one. It sucked. Big time.
    Got me wondering if I had a bad sample.
    And the amber one. Was blah. Maybe I don’t
    get on with Spaniards. Bussis.

2. Huge lines overwhelm me! I just don’t know where to begin. It’s so much less pressure to have a few at first than more than a dozen all at once.

I have a few samples of RM at home, but have yet to crack them open. I agree though that the bottles are so nice and would be a nice addition to any collection. I don’t shy away from masculine fragrances, but this may be a little too masculine for me. Looking forward to smelling it though!

3. Tara says:

I didn’t like Dry Wood at all, but I did like Impossible Iris and Cuirelle. In the end I only bought Cuirelle because I already have a ton of iris scents. Like you I loved the packaging so much I had to have at least one. 🙂

4. Jackieb says:

Loyal frag hag here!
    I did try Impossible Iris and was disappointed by the lack of rooty irisness, it was floral,but not special. Cuirelle sounds nice.
    Dry Wood does not tempt me so far…

• Hey JackieB,
      Nice to see you. Interesting that you wished for a more earthy and root iris, would you say that it had mainstream appeal? Was it soft like Iris Nobile?
      I don’t think Dry Wood is for everyone,
      Portia x

• Jackieb says:

OK just had to go and revisit my sample…I find it a bit sickly and maybe appealing to mainstream.
        I liked I.N. but feel very ‘grown up perfumed’ wearing it, so not a go to.
        You are probably swanning around in a sari round about now!

• Ha Ha HA!! I have had 5 saris made into jackets and I wear them to work. Definitely swanning around this evening.

I didn’t like Dry Wood much since it was too masculine for me but I think you’re absolutely correct in your description of it.

As to the number of perfumes in the line, I was also grumpy about that last year but then I read that he started working on the line in 2009 and I know that at least some of the perfumes were released in 2010 and 2011. So while 4-5 new perfumes per year is still a little too much, in my opinion, but it’s definitely better than 14 in one year. If I understand it correctly, in 2012 Ramon Monegal came to the international market not to the market in general.

• Thanks Undina,
      I was unaware of it’s different release times. They should have followed the same idea but with the 3 of their most popular each year, that would have lengthened the time it took to get them all out too.
      Thanks for liking my description, sometimes when I’m alone sniffing in my office it’s hard to know if I’m being real or fanciful. When you say it’s cool I’m breathing a sigh of relief.
      I hope you are happy and well beautiful.

6. Laurels says:

Haven’t tried any of them, but “Frag Hags” made me laugh.

I’ve tried Cuirelle. It’s not bad. I’m not sure if it’s full bottle worthy yet because I only gave it a quick testing. I think I have one other sample from the line but I forget which one it is now.

8. Dearest Portia
    How appropriate that this should be a modern take on a barbershop scent, The dandy took one look at the image of the flacon and thought instantly of roll on men’s deodorant.
    That said, your description intrigues one, for I have absolutely nothing against a grassy, breezy take on old style apres rasage.
    I’ll keep eyes and ears peeled and maybe try this one if it crosses my path.
    Yours ever
    The Perfumed Dandy

• Hey Perfumed Dandy,
      Long time no see. I hope you’re happy and well. Sorry I haven’t been over to visit the blog but I’ll get back there when things settle down here a little.
      The bottles are too good and I think their retro styling will suit you perfectly, the juice is good too.

• Dearest P
        Fear not, I have been on my travels and only just reappeared on the European side of the Atlantic!
        Yes, that retro styling would suit me well I think… the antennae are engaged!
        Yours ever
        The Perfumed Dandy

9. Tatiana says:

I’d really love to have one of those bottles. But I haven’t found one I’m in love with yet. Then again facing all fourteen samples from LuckyScent is bit daunting. I have trouble deciding which one to try and then I just reach for something in my collection that I know I love.

10. Killerrabbit says:

I have a bottle of Mon Cuir that I brought blind but second hand. Its a little scary and I think it may need to find a new home far far away.