Back to Vinyl – The Office Turntable 2013

Hey Hey APJ!

I think a fair few of us grew up in times where the Record Player was a major fixture of the house. Our original one had a TV Set, Record Player, Radio and huge Speakers. Dad’s Beethoven could be heard at the top of the street on a calm evening and Mum’s jazz would often be heard over the vacuum cleaner during the day. They were heady days of endless summers, swimming in the pool with my sister and our friends, Bar B Qs on the back verandah, oranges eaten warm off the tree, learning the alphabet and math times tables and music, music, music.

Record Player Cabinet Stephen Coles FlickrPhoto Stolen Stephen Coles Flickr

There were other record players, Dad had a HUGE stack of equipment in later years and everything was powered through the speakers, then I got a 3 in 1 for a birthday and my sister got a cassette player, then it became dueling music in the house. I remember Mum buying us both a CD player when they came out and us laughing at it saying that it would NEVER replace vinyl. My sister kept hers but I got Mum to take mine back, how could anyone take something so small seriously? I even kept my records till I was preparing to move a few years ago back to the family home, there was so much stuff and I needed to let a lot of it go. I’m both sad and glad that I did.

Well, here’s something to make your eyes POP!

Back to Vinyl – The Office Turntable 2013

12 comments on “Back to Vinyl – The Office Turntable 2013

I wonder if the office turntable works on old vinyl? I’ve been storing a lot of my old records for many years waiting for the second coming of vinyl. It looks like that time is near!

Wouldn’t that be super cool? There are relatively cheap players on the market currently, they plug into your speakers: be it iPhone speakers or a half stack.

2. CC ... says:

Oh my God, how cool is that? 🙂
    I got rid of my records during a move and I am both glad and sad I did so, too.
    Thank you for my daily dose of cool.
    Xox

YAY! Totally cool.
      Sometimes we have to let bits of ourselves go so we have room to be that us plus. Don’t you think? I do wish I’d kept a couple but I would never play them anyway so this way I get to remember them as amazing and I don’t have to worry about where they are, he he he.

3. Mary K says:

Wow! That was interesting! It really would be cool to have this.

And I do remember the entertainment center (as we used to call it) as pictured in your article. We had one when I was growing up, and in its day, it held an important place in the home.

Hi there MaryK,
      YAY! I’m so glad someone else remembers. That’s the closest to ours I could find but ours had a B/W TV too. It did hold a very special place of importance. GAWD! Memories.

I actually grew up with a vinyl turntable. I was nine or ten when the first cassette tape player appeared in my house – and it was something rare, most of my friends didn’t have them in their houses. My first CD player I got when I was in my late 20s, after I moved to the U.S. I am a little nostalgic for those turntables and vinyls but just a little. And I definitely do not miss black&white TVs 😉

Totally Undina,
      B/W TV was yuck, but it was kinda fun to look at those gowns and imagine the colours. Vinyl was SO ANNOYING when it scratched though, it takes much more to seriously damage a CD, and the iTunes or whatever download platform you use can store all that stuff without ever scratching. Some progress is good.

• CC ... says:

I agree, some progress is good … However, whenever I hear that scratchy sound on records it brings back so many memories of playing a record over and over — and whatever events were happening at the time. Ahhh
        🙂

5. Dionne says:

That is sooo neat! I remember listening to records as a kid, and thinking that my parents’ copy of Boston with the floating flaming guitars actually printed on the vinyl was the coolest thing ever.