Brie’s Across the Generations

Post by Brie

Perfume and Tea Musings: Across the Generations

Nest Fine Perfumes Midnight Fleur
Zhena Gypsy Organic Green Tea with Coconut/Rum Flavorings

Hello APJ

For many years I have worked with autistic students as a speech language pathologist. All of my students suffer from a condition known as Sensory Integration Dysfunction. In the simplest of terms they cannot process sensory information in typical fashion and are either repelled by sensory input (ie: can’t tolerate loud noises, itchy sweaters, etc) or crave sensory input (ie: only eat highly spicy/crunchy foods, are constantly smelling things, etc). I have my own theory that those of us obsessed with perfume may also possess to a certain degree a mild form of sensory integration dysfunction. Studies have also shown that this condition has a hereditary link.

So it should come as no surprise that my family is a multi-generational band of perfume nuts. For as long as I can remember mum had vintage/classic perfume bottles in our house. Pops had copious amounts of 4711 bottles in every size imaginable. To this day he sprays his socks and underwear with the organic vodka and essential oil blends I make for him. The fact that I am writing this post speaks to my obsession which has naturally been inherited by all three of my children.

Midnight Fleur NestFragrancesPhoto Stolen NestFragrances

However, financing perfume for four can be quite challenging. My eldest daughter has quite a resourceful streak and enters perfume draws. Whether you believe in the perfume fairies, the patron saint of perfume or just plain luck, random dot org seems to hone in on her perfume pen name and has allowed her to win several full bottles of high end niche.
The mother lode of all her perfume wins was the deluxe package of Nest Fine Perfumes Midnight Fleur which included the full size bottle, a travel roll on and the decadently thick and luxurious body cream.

Before I even get into the fragrance itself I must tell you that the packaging that the perfume is housed in is stunning. The black matte bottles are substantially heavy and decorated in floral illustrations inspired by the 18th century British artist Mary Delaney who used the decoupage technique. The juice in this work of art bottle is exquisite. Fragranatica lists the notes as jasmine, vanilla orchid, exotic woods, patchouli and black amber. Yet upon first spray the most prominent note to my nose is pineapple: rich, lush and juicy. But this is not your sickly sweet fruity concoction that is so popular in the mainstream perfumes. Midnight Fleur exudes a sophisticated tropical vibe (thanks to the vanilla orchid) before drying down to an earthy patchouli and dark amber.

Brie's Acros The Generations by Britt and CourtPhoto by Brie’s daughters Britt and Court

For this reason I pair Midnight Fleur with Zhena Gypsy Organic Green tea which includes notes of coconut, rum and pineapple flavors. The tea and perfume are a perfect duo for a hot summer day or night. Whether you are a teenager (like my daughter) or a middle aged woman (like me) Midnight Fleur is a beauty to wear. I am proud that one of my own is developing and refining a sophisticated taste in perfume which I am sure she will pass on to her offspring one day!

Bx

Sadly Brie wrote this ahead and can not answer your comments. Don’t let that stop the conversation though, please write if you’d like and Portia will reply. Hopefully Brie is out there somewhere reading. Portia xx

17 comments on “Brie’s Across the Generations

Great information! Lovely fragrance descriptions. I learn so much from these posts.
    Thank you!

Azar

Brie writes so well it is a shame she has moved on in the world. I miss her vibrant exuberance.

2. Maya says:

This got me thinking about my family. Love of scent comes from my father’s side. Midnight Fleur sounds like something for me. I love the tropics and it’s perfumed air. Add coconut and rum – perfection. 🙂

Yes, I made a beeline for the site too. Even the name Midnight Fleur is so evocative that I too want a whiff of it.

Midnight Fleur is quite nice and that packaging alone makes it worth buying. Love those bottles. I need to look for that tea. Coconut and rum is wonderful combination.

Poodle,
      Every time I read a Brie piece I am instantly online buying teas and often fragrance. She writes an extremely readable post and touches my heart.

• poodle says:

I do miss her and her comments. I wonder if she’ll ever come back.

Hey poodle,
        I don’t know. Brie was such a live wire and so entertaining. It seems a little empty without her in the APJ family. A Brie sized hole in the picture.

I have a sample of this perfume (from Brie – thank you if you read it) but haven’t tried it yet. Bottles of the line are very nice, I agree.
    Undina recently posted…As Wild as It Gets (for me): My Hawaiian VacationsMy Profile

Hey Undina,
      Have you heard from Brie at all? I hope she comes back one day to say hello. She was a bright spark, like you, in my life.
      The bottles alone are lemming material.

5. RuthF says:

Such beautiful bottles! Pity (or fortunately) they don’t ship to Australia!

Ha ha ha! Yes, when watching a budget it can be useful to be the other side of the world RuthF.

6. Laurels says:

They’re supposed to have these at Sephora. Will have to go in and sniff.

7. maggiecat says:

I did find the Nest scents at my Sephora this weekend. I bought the roll-on of white Sandalwood, which is a pleasant, cozy scent. I think this line is very well-done.

Interestingly, no one else in my family, except my son, is a perfume addict – but I also was very sensitive to fabrics and refused to wear “scratchy” clothes. Hmmmm

That is interesting MaggieCat.
      Yay! Your son could end up in perfumistaland, that’s exciting.
      White sandalwood, does that mean it’s a White Musk version?

8. Dionne says:

I had no idea Brie was an SLP, that is very cool!

Son #3 has learning difficulties due to medical complications at birth, so count me in as someone who thinks SLPs are awesome. And yes, he has sensory challenges as well; it would appear I fit Brie’s theory, as his OTs have noticed I’m super-sensitive to some textures and sounds myself.

I haven’t tried the Nest line myself, but those bottles! Absolutely stunning. Congratulations to your daughter for winning them.