Sydney Australia to Vienna Austria 2014 Photo Essay

Hello lovely APJ Peeps,

Currently I am sitting in the Hotel Royal off Stephanplatz (The Plaza of the St. Stephen’s Cathedral) in the heart of shopping town Vienna, Austria. My traveling buddy and APJ contributor, Michael, is on his first ever trip to Europe and we are both super excited, he to see and me to re-see and bump into a bunch of frag buddies. The journey here has been so amazingly extraordinary I thought I’d share a photo essay of it.

Due to a mate of ours being able to procure us the most ridiculously cheap airfares ever we traveled most of the way to Vienna in First Class. Until now I never dreamed such a thing could happen. I am usually an economy passenger except for a time when a partner of mine worked for British Airways and I was sometimes upgraded to business because they’d oversold the plane. I though THAT was luxurious……

Here are a few pics of the journey so far. We have had a great day with Birgit & Sandra from Olfactoria’s Travels but were so busy enjoying their company that there are no photos. There will be photos of some of the other stuff soon. Sadly I left my phone on a train, all will be fine though and life will be cool.

34 comments on “Sydney Australia to Vienna Austria 2014 Photo Essay

1. Oh Darling Portia
    Old stomping grounds” send you much love with a Waltz in my heart
    David x

• Portia says:

Hey David,
      I brag about you and the ballet non stop when Im in Vienna. Every step around the Ringstrasse reminds me of our time there.
      What a wonderful city, we must come back together some day.

I love your photo essays, Portia! Yes, first class is great. I’ve traveled that way a few times myself but only by accident. And what’s with the phone? How will you handle that?
    Happy Trails
    Azar xx

3. Maya says:

Lovely pictures. Seems like you both are having a great time. First class sounds wonderful, especially for a long flight!

4. Jordan River says:

Fun Fun Fun and phone free. Very nice really.
    Jordan River recently posted…2013 – 1432 New Perfumes released to marketMy Profile

5. Jackie b says:

Hi, I love your travel photos, as close as I will ever get to first class!
    Is that a SCHNITZEL bigger than Michael’s head????

6. Sarah K says:

I am mad jealous of your trip! Luxury travel and meet ups with all those lovely perfumistas. Wonderful pictures too – here, as well as on FFF and Olfactoria’s Travels. I hope the rest of your trip is as fantastic 🙂

• Portia says:

Hi there SarahK,
      For some reason travel is in my blood. i can’t explain my wonderlust but I am glad it came as part of my package.
      this year is especially interesting because its Michael’s first European adventure, watching someone else get bitten by the travel bug is fun too.
      the perfumistas along the way are an added treat, we are so blessed to have this and grateful for the opportunities life is presenting currently.
      one day you may come on a frag tour too, wouldnt that be fun
      Portia recently posted…Sydney Australia to Vienna Austria 2014 Photo EssayMy Profile

7. meganinstmaxime says:

First Class – wow! I need to find a friend like yours. Looks amazing – read the update on Olfactoria’s Travels as well. You’ve made me want to visit Vienna – everyone says it’s a beautiful city and quite special too. Have fun. Is your bag weighed down by perfume purchases already?!

• Portia says:

Well MeganInMaxime,
      Firstly, Vienna is a great city because there is so much to see in a small area, you can walk to many of the wonderful attractions and others are a 5 minute cab ride. Most of the population speaks English, which is a big plus for single lingual me. Also the population are friendly and helpful. It is a good first European city on a tour because so much of Europes history centered here. We stayed at the Hotel Royal on Stephensplatz, it is an old hotel where the opera singers stayed through the 1960s and onwards. Nothing flash but great location, clean and yummy breakfast included in a very affordable package.
      I have added 3 bottles to my collection so far but more on those later.
      First Class= AWESOME

8. Chris Hartnett says:

How fantastic travelling first class you lucky duck!!! Your piccies are fantastic & I can’t WAIT to see & hear more about your fabulous ‘fumes adventures 🙂

Chis,
      It is beyond my wildest dreams of lavish behaviour, still pinching myself. First Class was exactly that.
      there will be more photo essays, promise.
      portia xx

9. Kath says:

Oprah says never eat anything bigger than your head. I hope you had that in mind when you had that schnitzel Michael!

michael’s reply was. If Oprah lived by that rule she wouldn’t be Oprah.
      Oh we laughed.
      He couldn’t finish the schnitzel though and called in the cavalray to help.

Great pictures!

I’ve never traveled First Class anywhere. I’m envious! 😉 But maybe one day…
    Undina recently posted…N Niche Perfume Brands You Need to Know Right NowMy Profile

11. Mark Evans says:

That’s a schnitzel? I thought it was a pancake!

12. Sister Mary says:

Portia! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these images. You have such a great eye, I shall really enjoy coming along for the ride 🙂

YAY! Totally glad to have you and thanks.
      I will try and get some shots of your good self too.

13. Juvy Santos says:

I love perfumed travelogues! I’ve never flown first class myself, but once had the pleasure of business class…enjoy!

I am so glad JuvySantos,
      There will be more Photo Essays soon.
      Even Business Class is amazing. So glamorous.
      I will probably spend most of my life in Economy though, and happily.

14. maggiecat says:

Thanks for sharing the pictures – I can vicariously enjoy your trip and dream about taking one myself someday! Enjoy!

Oh MaggieCat,
      Of course, there will be LOADS more pics. Dreaming is quite a bit of the fun. I love the dreaming stage, Jin especially finds that the cool bit. You should see how much time he puts into train timetables, sights to see and our accomodation searching. Even though he is not on this trip it was a massive endeavour for him to get us the best deals, and it seems to have paid off, we are very welll taken care of.

So glad you’re having fun. I can’t wait for the stories of your adventure. I’m also dying to know what scented souvenirs you bought.

Hey Poodle,
      Yes the stories are coming, with more photos. Scented souvenirs? I’ll tell you all after the next stop.
      Portia x

16. Mary K says:

Thank you for the vacation post and the pictures. Hope you will be keeping us updated as you go along. First class must have been great!

Hi there MaryK,
      Love bringing you all along with us and yes, First Class was crazy good.

17. Daisy says:

Now that’s how one should travel! What a treat to get to fly in the lap of luxury like that. Bravo, dear Portia, and thank you for sharing!