Hi there APJ Family & Friends,
I love trolling through the Surrender To Chance site. They have excellent Weekly Chance Specials, Vintage frags, Hard to find stuff and best of all, I can order a 2ml spray and get a true experience of a fragrance for a fraction of the price of a bottle, and it’s way easier to store 100 samples than 100 bottles too. Recently I was looking through and came across this super set that read like EXACTLY the kind of set that I should possess, natch. So I went all out and ordered the 2ml Spray Set. It’s pricey but SOOO worth it.
Animalic – Skank. For Everyone Who Wants to be Bad- 11 Samples
- Guerlain Jicky EDP – All skank covered in decency and fresh lavender.
- Jean Despres Bal a Versailles Parfum – The queen of skanks, there is NOTHING nice about this, and that’s a good thing.
- Miller Harris L’air de Rien – Scary Skank! Like scary spice, but a lot more fun.
- Montale Oud Cuir d’Arabie – Arabian skank with a lot of oud just for good measure.
- Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her EDP Intense
- Nasomatto Narcotic Venus – Not as outwardly skanky, but deliciously, understated skank.
- Penhaligon Amaranthine – We used to refer to it as “amaranthigh” it is such a dirty, dirty girl.
- Rochas Femme – Made during The Depression, when women were hanging on to their sensuality by their fingernails, it is skanky perfection.
- Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan – Animalic musky skank.
- The Party in Manhattan – Completely dressed up skank, with a beautiful Dior ballgown.
- Worth Courtesan – Tropical skank, amazingly so!
From Surrender To Chance: Perfume should always play with naughty. What is naughty? It’s referred to as “skank.” First coined by March at Perfume Posse in January 2006, she refers to it as “Skank is not gracious, or nice, or even fundamentally pretty. The Skank is about sex, and only sex. It’s a rump-grinding, head-shaking invitation to a booty call, no matter how politely the scent’s been dressed up at the opening.”
This is the sex in perfume, and it’s been there even back in the days when the hems of dresses never got above the eyelet lace-ups of their Victorian boots.
So I have been having a wonderful time trying them all.I think my skin eats, or I have become immune, to the extremes of animalics. I love them and they smell great on my skin but where most people are coughing, tears streaming and running to the shower, I merely smell like a big cuddly teddy bear all warm and squishy. I have written about a few of these already, mostly quite early in the blog’s life, but it has been super fun revisiting and reminding myself how good they are, and to have even a sample size back in the collection. There are a few too that are FB in my collection already: MKK, Femme and Bal a Versailles. I also have a vintage Jicky Parfum so it’s great to meet it’s modern EdP sister.
My girl friend Natalie from Another Perfume Blog took one whiff of Courtesan by Worth and I knew she had to have it. You know the look, eyes glazed over, head thrown slightly back and nostrils flaring? There was that and more: positively fabulous viewing and at an outdoor lunch table in one of Sydney’s ritzier suburbs. I had to laugh, and give her the vial.
Surrender To Chance has the lot starting at $33/.5ml but I went all out and grabbed the $116/2ml spray set
Why did I spend so much? Well, 2ml will last me 4-10 wears depending on longevity and projection strength. That’s months of delicious spritzing and a different one every day for 3 weeks, not that I desperately need more choice to be honest. I also like that they are already in a spritz atomiser so no messing around with decanting into a spray to get the manufacturers intent. I think the extra is worth it for me. You may only want or need the .5ml to taste the frags, excellent. $33 is a wonderful deal for amazing frags that are a must try on your frag journey.
Love & hugs,