Patrick & Wayne: Magnolia Grandiflora

Hi there APJ,

I don’t have a perfume post for you tonight. Life has been very hectic around here and somehow there is no post for now. OOOOPS! Jin & I have been out to dinner with a couple of totally top blokes that I have been friends with for 20 years and some other long standing friends. Though Jin & I have been together for 3 years still they’d not met him. So to make it happen they organised a dinner party. Roast goats chees stuffed figs wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with honey & balsamic vinegar. Slow cooked curried chicken breasts with cous cous and sugar snap peas with a spicy jus. Chocolate souffle with raspberries and clotted cream. Fabulous drinks served to suit each course and basically a heaven night out.

Patrick & Wayne: Magnolia Grandiflora

Through the whole dinner though I was mesmerised by the perfection and beauty of the centerpiece, a couple of dinner plate sized magnolias from the front garden. Their ginger, lemongrass, citrus, vanilla and sweat scent wafting over towards me and completelyt breaking my train of thought again and again throughout the evening.

I stole one and brought it home. Here it is in the kitchen.

Perfection.

Patrick & Wayne Magnolia 2015b

Patrick & Wayne Magnolia 2015a

8 comments on “Patrick & Wayne: Magnolia Grandiflora

1. Tara says:

Sounds like a fab evening with great food and even better company. That stunning flower is mesmerising!

Don’t ever stress about posting, Portia. Your work rate is extraordinary. I don’t know how you do it. I’m glad you’re taking time out for once to smell the magnolias 🙂

Hi there Tara,
      It was a really fun night. Best bit was how much they all loved Jin, obviously I knew they would but…..
      So he was excellent and they were excellent and I’m so happy.
      Naah, not stressing, it’s amazing how incredible this magnolia smells. I think Michel Roudniska has hit the right juxtaposition in his Magnolia Grandiflora scent, though I still adore Sandrine’s and Carlos Benain’s for Malle. We have a really small outfit here in Australia called Cult of Scent and Jocelyn’s is excellent too. I have a couple of them here and am doing sniff tests.
      Naah, no stress but thank you for noticing the workload. Smelling the magnolias is a very worthy pursuit…..

Hello Portia,

That a fabulous dinner! Your friends sound like the perfect hosts! And such a simple and effective centerpiece. I love magnolia grandiflora. Reminds me of my childhood in Florida. We can grow them here too but they are never as tall or shapely and need the perfect location near a warm radiant wall to flourish.

I really don’t know how you do all this work either, Portia. Thank you!!

Azar xx

Hey there Azar,
      You can’t know how grateful I am for such friends. I am new to the Magnolia Grandiflora, the north Shore of Sydney grows the pink & white ones that are almost scentless, this is unbelievable.
      Work? It doesn’t feel like work.. This is fun.

3. Fifi says:

Wow, you are an awesome photographer. Those pics are suitable for framing. Glad you had such a magnifico night!
    Much aloha,
    Fifi

Hey Fifi,
      Thank you. Snapped on the iPhone and uploaded as is, I think they do all the hard work for me.
      Aloha back.

4. Ainslie says:

Gorgeous pics and post! Have you crushed a leaf and smelt it too? YUM! X
    Ainslie recently posted…Tamara Dean’s Here and Now installation collaboration (with scent by Ainslie Walker)My Profile