The Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy: 3 Minute Film

Post by Portia

Hi there APJ,

Sometimes the world seems to be a pile of shit. Often being thrown into an unhappy memory will trigger a downward spiral for me, and I seem to be most susceptible when I am also overwhelmed with other parts of my life and tired. It feels really selfish to be depressed and that further speeds my downward spiral. Yes, I know I don’t suffer depression in the deepest and blackest pit of hell sense but everything is relative and for me down is down, it’s not a race to the bottom and I don’t need to big note my pain. Sometimes life looks less lovely from inside me.

How You Treat Others

So, taking that into account and knowing that many other people suffer some level of depression then I think it important that we ALL watch this 3 minute lesson in empathy. Some really simple steps to help someone else through the rough times. Nothing feels better than being a light for someone when their world seem dark.

Please watch this,

Brené Brown on Empathy: 3 Minute Film

The Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy

8 comments on “The Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy: 3 Minute Film

1. Winterlude says:

Portia, I have never met you and probably never will, but everything you write and share here, makes me think that you are truly a beautiful human being. Thank you.

WOW! Thanks Winterlude.
      We get around though, could be that sometime we could end up where you are.
      Big Smile Here.

2. KatieSlat says:

Loved it! Hearfelt, beautiful & funny. Thank you for sharing Portia.

You’re so welcome KatieSlat.
      It was a bit of a revelation to me in all honesty. we live & learn I guess. There have been times when I played the goat.

3. Esperanza says:

Thank you for sharing, Portia. How you are and THE video. I loved both of them.

Hug,

Esperanza
    Esperanza recently posted…Huitième Art Parfums Poudre de RizMy Profile

I go through some down times too. Sometimes sympathy is hard to come by and empathy is even harder to find. Thanks for sharing this.
    Big hugs to you.