September: full of luck and love.

Post by Ainslie Walker

September: full of luck and love.

I was a lucky lady during September: surviving a car accident, winning a bottle of perfume AND finding a favorite fragrance dramatically discounted. It’s been peculiar experiencing first hand, concussion and shock. My sense of smell was fortunately still intact after a big bump to the head, even stronger for some time– apparently due to primal instincts of “fight or flight.”

(untitled) Maison Martin Margiela FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

TWO bottles of discounted Maison Martin Margiela – Untitled were awaiting me in packages when I arrived home from hospital and I wore nothing but for days. Perfectly strange, earthy and uplifting, it suited my surreal state.

Margiela’s intention was to reinterpret greenery after rain. It gives me the feeling of holding my face up to the sky and it being washed with big plodding drops of fresh rain. Ahhhhhh the ultimate cleanse. I visualize fresh, wet, pounding summer rain running off bending plants, yet a musky, sweet white floral heart is present all the while. Lurking in the undergrowth is the better parts of the smell of smoking. Not tobacco. Just mysterious smoke. Galbanum, fierce and green is complimented perfectly with bittersweet orange. Jasmine adds sumptuous pretty, floral and sweet notes that cedar and musk bring back to earth, deepening and giving an irresistible otherworldly edge.

Gorgeously avant-garde, listed as containing boxwood, galbanum, bitter orange, incense, jasmine, cedar and musk. Apparently no vetiver, however it’s a definite must try for vetiver fans. A scent that rarely gets a mentioned on fragrance forums, yet for me is stand out, always receiving numerous compliments. Completely unisex – in fact my dad has already “borrowed” one of my bottles!

Rose Etoile de Hollande Mona di Orio FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

From my hospital bed I entered Mona di Orio’s instagram competition and a few days later I received notification I had won!! Completely spaced out, I pondered my weird week’s luck. The full bottle of Rose Etoile de Hollande, beautifully packaged (old packaging) was with me within a few days from Europe – a very generous gift. Named after the worlds most fragrant climbing rose species, which Mona studied, growing outside her window in Cabris, France. I had never smelt it before, yet doused myself in it recklessly. A spine-tingling, sparkling, deep rose hit my system. Aldehydic, reminding me of the rich rose component of vintage Chanel Number 5. I am pleased by the natural tones and earthiness in the heart of this fragrance. I feel as if my nose is buried deep deep inside the bosom of a red rose. Deep enough to even smell the fizzy peachiness of its just forming fruit. It is beyond than that though; with additional layers transpiring over time. Smoky eugenol (clove), cedar, patchouli and leather contribute an edgy and carnal feel to this voluptuous beauty. Eventually it powders down, yet remains fiercely rosy sparkling into the evening like a vast and starry night.

How was your September? Do you love fragrances that take you from planet earth to elsewhere in 1 sniff? Which are you favorites?

19 comments on “September: full of luck and love.

1. willa says:

Hi Ainslie,
    Great story! September passed in a whirl for me because I was working on my thesis. Almost all of my beloved scents transport me in one sniff, so I stuck to wearing study-scents during September.
    I’m mad keen to smell the Mona Di Orio the next time we hang out. x

2. australianperfumejunkies says:

Heya Ainslie,
    SO GLAD YOU SURVIVED!
    Mohur and Mitzah both speed me off immediately.
    Shalimar always has too.

Hi Ainslie,
    I’m so sorry about the accident but happy that you are on the mend and enjoying your lucky winnings. I really groove on galbanum . “Untitled” with a first note of boxwood ( referencing the hedge material???) plus the galbanum is intriguing.
    Azar xx

4. Thank goodness you’re OK. Car crashes are hideous. And usually whatever current favourite I have will transport me. I’ve been sniffing Ormonde Jayne’s Vanille d’Iris today and that perfume is a soothing, luxurious dream. Actually patchouli really does it for me too. One whiff of a good patch perfume and I’m in heaven. Borneo 1834 is my fav.
    meganinstmaxime recently posted…Perfume Review : Tigre du Bengale : The Purr Of The TigerMy Profile

5. Vanessa says:

I just stopped by to say I am glad you came through that car crash all right – very scary business.

I am on a Mona di Orio Tubereuse kick at the minute, and am grateful to Val for giving me her remaining sample the other day (plus a ton of other stuff!). Am also enjoying a couple of Tauers – PHI Rose de Kandahar and Lys du Desert, and my old ‘going out’ standby of Dior Ambre Nuit.
    Vanessa recently posted…Games with frontiers: The Monochrome Set’s ‘bun fight’ tour of Germany and Austria – Part 1: Karlsruhe and RavensburgMy Profile

6. Anna says:

Glad you are ok after car accident!
    The mona oro rose sounds beautiful.

I’m glad you’re okay. Car crashes can change lives in an instant.
    Lately I can’t think of any perfumes that transport me anywhere. Even the ones that used to aren’t quite working their magic. I’m in a funk it seems.

8. Jess says:

Please forgive this naked plea for help, but I am desperately trying to track down the Maison Martin Margiela ‘Untitled’ for a friend here in Sydney – it’s her signature scent, her bottle is almost empty, it’s her birthday soon, and she so deserves a treat. Could you possibly point me in the direction of a stockist, or someone who might ship it internationally? I have hit a research brick wall… Thank you, in advance, if there’s any help you can give!