White Musks: Friend or Foe?

Post by Trésor

I like white musk, I cannot lie and I like it a lot. Many of you will be familiar with my profound affection for accords steeped in subversion, depravity and potions rife with filthy delight but when it’s just me, myself and I there is only one solution: a proper cumulonimbus of glimmering white musk. Instead of just one review this week I’ve opted instead for three, a collection of my most cherished and well loved fragrances graced with this accord of pellucid splendour.

White Musks: Friend or Foe?

Pure eVe The Different Company FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Pure eVe by Céline Ellena for The Different Company 2011

First up on the docket is Pure eVe (formerly known as Pure Virgin) from French niche house The Different Company. Pure eVe opens in an exquisite breath of sheer vanilla, flirting with the idea of confection but never quite registering as a treat that’s entirely edible. Soon vanilla gracefully fades into cascades of creamy almond and transparent caramel, each tendril encapsulated within zephyrs of gentle powder. The base is comprised of a glorious and breathtakingly kaleidoscopic blend of white musks, each one scintillating and setting another aglow until they are all but one orb of fluid light.

Royal Muska M. Micallef FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Royal Muska by Jean-Claude Astier for M. Micallef 2008

I happened upon Jean-Claude Astier’s Royal Muska for M. Micallef entirely by accident. I’d been snooping through a friend’s perfume shelf as one does and the most gloriously glittering bottle caught my eye. There was no question, I had to spray myself and the from the moment I did I could tell that it was going to be love. From first sniff there is a familiarity, I can catch whiffs of delicate summertime beauty. Ephemeral flourishes silky cream and raspberry permeate the background, cheekily peeking through a veil of aroma that’s reminiscent of fine French soap. At the heart is a translucent interpretation of ripe and velvety peach that carries through until the composition has become glowing billows of plush white musk.

Lovely Sarah Jessica Parker  FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Lovely by Laurent Le Gurnec + Clement Gavarry for Sarah Jessica Parker 2005

Out of my entire collection there are but a small a handful of fragrances which I use on a regular basis and even fewer which I use entirely and repurchase time and time again. Alongside my greatest love, Aromatics Elixir from Clinique there is only one other where I have repurchased bottles more times than I can count: Lovely from Sarah Jessica Parker. The opening of lovely, to my humble nose, is sheer perfection. Silken plumes of luxurious white musk are scintillating with fractals of golden light radiating threads of glowing bergamot and transparent grains of sea salt, their form cut as precious stone. At the heart of Lovely dwells the velvet petals of a white rose, her petals bathed in the roseate hue of celestial evening sunlight. The warmth of the rich rosewood that comprises the base is utterly magnetic and the soft shades of amber on which it rests are equally as exquisite. If I were to choose only one white musk for the rest of my life, there is no question of which it would be. Lovely.

You might find this interesting: Surrender To Chance Musks Sampler

What are your favourite fragrances focused around an accord of white musk?

Until next time, kittens.

Trésor, xo.

16 comments on “White Musks: Friend or Foe?

1. cookie queen says:

None as far as I know. ?

2. australianperfumejunkies says:

Hey there Trésor,
    Lovely is a fave of mine, Jovan Musk for women is another I like to spritz with abandon, Dewmusk by Montale too.

• Tresor says:

Hey there, Portia!

I absolutely adore Jovan! Especially in the oil formulation. I’ve never had the pleasure of trying the Montale but I will most certainly seek it out! It sounds absolutely wonderful.

3. Jolisa says:

Cotton Musk – Ramon Monegal
    Very clean, but the slightest bit of white musk

4. maggiecat says:

Lovely is also one of my repurchased and forever-loved scents, and I share your love of white musks. It’s difficult for me to be haphy with a scent that does not have at least some musk in it…:-)

• Tresor says:

It’s such a wonderful scent, such comfort and grace encapsulated within those vapours. <3 I am partial to a bit of musks in most scents myself, I love that snuggly quality it lends to the drydown. So beautiful.

Hello Trésor!
    Everything seems to have a little musk in it somewhere! Seeing your favorite Micallef reminded me that I’m a big fan of most things Micallef. The one I use regularly is the M. Micallef for Women in the Jewel Series. It looks like your bottle but with hematite colored crystals – and yes there is white musk in the base.
    Azar xx

• Tresor says:

Hello Azar!

First I would like to thank you so much for all of your comments on my pieces. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to do so, it truly means the world to me!

I’ve never had the pleasure of trying M. Micallef for Women but I will most certainly add it on the list of things to try. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

6. fazal cheema says:

has lovely remained unchanged in formula?

• Tresor says:

Hello Fazal! To my nose Lovely has remained the same, though I will be very excited to sniff the 10 year anniversary edition and see if they have made any alterations with it.

I don’t mind some white musk once in a while. I’m drawing a blank on a favorite at the moment. I do like Lovely as well.

8. DebB says:

Noa by Cacharel. The nutty coriander and subtle green notes blend beautifully with the white musk. Also Crystalline by Bvlgari is a very light floral with white musk and is quite nice in warm weather.

• Tresor says:

I just purchased a bottle of Noa shortly after I had written this article! What a beautiful coincidence! It’s absolutely dreamy.

I’ve never had the pleasure of trying the Bulgari but I will remedy that with my next sample order! Thank you so much for the suggestion.