Saturday Question: Favourite Leather Scents

Portia

Hello Fellow Fumies,

Every Saturday we have a Question, an idea purloined from Olfactoria’s Travels. Everyone gets to chime in with an answer, chat with other responders and it is a fun event each week. Taking sides never means taking offence and everyone keeps it respectful and light, even though we can sometimes trawl the depths.

The idea is you’ll see it on the weekend or chime in through the week. Hopefully you will come back and see if anyone has responded to your comment and you can reply to them.

I’m currently away on holidays in India and will have limited internet but be assured that I’ll read every comment and answer when I can.

Saturday Question: Favourite Leather Scents

Leather is one of my most loved notes. It has so many variations from the stench of tanneries to the finished high gloss shoe or worn and loved glove. It can have the scent ofd its owner as in a leather jacket or sweat from sport and weightlifting. It can be suede, patent, cow, sheep, goat or pony and all of them are peculiar to themselves. Then there are the additives like fruit, incense, oudh, woods, flowers, sweets, vanilla, patchouli and the cavalcade of accords available have all had a go with leather.

What are my Favourite Leather Scents?

Bottega Veneta FragranticaFragrantica

Bottega Veneta EdP

Between Daim Blond, Cuir Amethyst and this is only a question of levels and personal taste. Bottega Veneta is the best lasting of the three on me and Jin has claimed it as his signature scent. Whenever I smell it there are so many happy memories piled on top of the actual smell, which I adore. Fruity leather, soft & supple and so incredibly wearable.

Knize Ten FragranticaFragrantica

Knize Ten

people call this a floral leather and though it may be to them on me it’s all about favourite leather jacket. It’s a fantasy scent of a mans jacket after years of wear and it has taken on some of his sweat and cologne. I bought my Golden Edition bottle in Vienna at the original Knize store and my original shopping with Denyse Beaulieu in Paris at a chemist right near Jovoy. Happy memories all.

Trussardi Donna

Long before I was a perfumista I had a bottle of Trussardi Donna. To be honest I didn’t even know then that it was aimed at women. It was a fabulously real leather chypre (Though chypre was not in my vocal either) and I loved to smell  of it. Still do.

I find it interesting that my three go-to leathers are all from designer houses. Interesting.

My Saturday Question to you is:

What are your favourite leather scents? Do you have special leather moods? When do you wear them?

30 comments on “Saturday Question: Favourite Leather Scents

1. Mary says:

Ooooh, I love leather and have several, but perhaps my favourites are Anubis and Cuir Ottoman, which are both faultless to me. I wouldn’t like to be without either of them.

2. Mary says:

Enjoy your holiday!

3. fanny says:

Lonestar Memories, Shalimar and Nazarena are the first that come to mind.
    Tauer LM in winter, Shalimar in winter and fall, Nazarena in spring and summer.
    I love Knize Ten too.
    These perfumes are all great comforters to me.

Have a wonderful time in India, Portia !!

4. Jackie b says:

Great question! Looking at this list I think I am a leather ho.
    Have Bottega Veneta, Cuir Ottoman, Cuir Cannage, Cuir Amethyste, Knize Ten,
    Cuir Beluga. But luckily not all Cuir is created equal, they all have their own character and can be worn at different times.

5. Mariann says:

So far leather is not something I tend to gravitate towards. But I also really like Bottega Veneta and have a bottle of Cuir de Lancome.

6. AnnieA says:

I like Cuir de Lancôme and Carner Barcelona Cuirs. Autumn is around the corner so time for leather perfumes.

7. missionista says:

I like Bottega Veneta as well. But I really love Cuir Fetiche by Maitre Perfumer et Gantier. My wonderful mom just brought me back a bottle from France!

8. Marzipan says:

Evening Edged in Gold is my favorite leather. I am a leather wimp-LOL! i also like Peony and Blush Suede (yeah, I know technically it is not leather but I am equating suede with leather…see what I mean?…leather wimp!)

9. JimS says:

Love Puredistance M, Roja Dove Fetish Pour Homme, Lonestar Memories by Tauer, Cuir Velours by Goodsir, and Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d’Empire. It depends on my mood as to which one I wear, but I wear all of them regularly.

10. Kate Apted says:

There are quite a few I really like, but my tastes change quite a bit. One that stays a constant adore is MDCI’s Cuir Garamante. I’ve only had a small amount and a full bottle is my dream. It is just glory in a bottle.

Did you take many heat friendly scents with you, Portia? And do you find your perception of them changes with new/different external and environmental smells around you?

11. Samantha says:

Hi Portia,
    I haven’t tried many leather scents but Bottega Veneta is my fave so far. I did a perfume making workshop a few years ago and a guy in the group was wanting to try and replicate Cuir Amethyste, which he was wearing at the time. I was keen to try CA myself so bought a small decant. I quite liked it and started to read up on it and price it with the view of buying myself a full bottle but then I saw the cost….gak! I saw reviews that it was similar to BV which was a lot more affordable so I blind-bought that instead. Turns out I enjoy it a lot more than CA, worked out well 🙂

12. Fazal says:

I have lot of leather fragrances including vintage chanel cuir de russie and vintage Knize Ten. But I think my favorite leather interpretation is vintage Cuiron which often competes with vintage Eau Sauvage for being my signature fragrance. Cuiron is a very different kind of leather and even very simplistic but there are very very few fragrances that have blown me away upon first sniff like Cuiron.

13. Nemo says:

Cuir d’Ange is far and away my favorite, but Dzing! and Lonestar Memories are also great 🙂

• Tiffanie says:

I liked Cuir d’Ange when I tried it from a sample, and I have neglected decant of Dzing! Must get those out tomorrow for a sniff.

14. Gina says:

Cuir de Lancome, MPG Cuir Fetiche, Byredo Accord Oud and Baudelaire, Dior Cuir Cannage, Davidoff Leather Blend, Serge Lutens Daim Blonde, ELDO Rien, Fendi Fan di Fendi Leather Essence, Piguet Bandit and Kerosen Whips and Roses

15. MikasMinion says:

I’m not sure I have a favorite but I really wear Chanel CdR (edt.) a lot when I can’t decide what to wear and I love the heck out of Cuir de Lancôme.

16. Ingrid says:

Always Cabochard, the vintage parfum. My first love from the late 60s.
    I also like Cuir de Lancome, vintage Bandit EdT, Empreinte and Azuree. I’m a leather chypre fan.

• rosarita313 says:

I love leather chypres too. A favorite aunt of mine wore Azuree in the 70s and I always thought it was hard to know where the bourbon and cigarettes left off and the perfume began, it was such a part of her.

17. rosarita313 says:

My favorites have all been named, I think, Bottega Veneta being a favorite perfume, period, not just a favorite leather. It’s so good all year in all circumstances. I think of leather being best in the fall, I’ve been wearing Imaginary Authors Slow Explosions lately, it has leather, saffron and apple and I swear incense too although it’s not listed in the notes. Very nice. Have a great time on your adventures, guys!

18. Ingeborg says:

I tend not to like leather perfumes, too many of them contain birch tar. I do like some ambers with a subtle leather note, but like best suede, the way it is presented in Daim Blond for example.

19. Tiffanie says:

I know so little about leather in fragarnce. Thanks to everyone for sharing your leather favorites. I feel like I’ve been thoroughly schooled and now have some sniffing homework to do this week. 🙂

20. Neva says:

OMG, the vintage Trussardi Donna! I still have my bottle from the nineties. It’s amazing, just like Bandit. I guess I like my leathers bitter. I can wear them always. And then there’s the lovely soft Cuir d’Ange, mostly for warmer weather where it shows it’s full beauty.

21. crikey says:

I love a good leather perfume. I’m another BV fan, though this reads as suede on me, suede and apricots, and it’s delicious. Though if I had to chose between this and Serge Lutens’ Boxeuses, it would be the latter, for that plummy, sweetened leather with some sharp and gleaming teeth under the smooth polished surface.

Otherwise, it’s Cuir de Russie and Cuir d’Ange for the beautiful-and-elegant leathers, with Bandit and Rien for the absolute fuck-you nothing-is-stopping-me girding-of-the-loins bitter gorgeousness.

(Anubis is still on my list of full bottle wants.)
    crikey recently posted…Working towards worlds: training logMy Profile

22. Scotty says:

Cuir de Lancôme and Azuree are my favourites!
    I also love Parfum de Peau, Knize 10, Trusssardi Donna, Cabochard.
    There was a Le Labo I thought was very leathery and smoky – maybe Patchouli 24?
    X