Hello Fellow Fumies,
At APJ we have a Saturday Question. Everyone gets to chime in with an answer, chat with other responders and it’s a fun event each week. Taking sides never means taking offence and everyone keeps it respectful and light, even though we can sometimes trawl the depths.
The idea is you’ll see it on the weekend or chime in through the week. Hopefully you will come back regularly and see if anyone has responded to your comment and you can reply to them. The aim is to generate real conversation and connection even though we are scattered around the globe.
Over 100 responses I will draw a Scent Sample Pack (from my collection)
- Armani Prive: Cuir Amethyst
- Cartier: L’Heure Mysterieuse XII
- CHANEL: BOY
- DIOR: Granville
- Hermès: Muguet Porcelain
Last Weeks Winner: Evan Sufi
eMail me at (portia underscore turbo at yahoo dot com dot au) with your address please
Saturday Question: Which “Exclusive” Lines Do You Buy?
Once upon a time hardly any of the brands had exclusive or prive lines. Suddenly in the 21st century we are inundated by them. These 6 – 12 new fragrances in a simple bottle repeated with slight variation. Instant lines of perfumes that often fit into a new designed shelf in their flagship stores & extra large department stores, available nowhere else. They seem to have superseded the Duty Free Exclusives of yesteryear and now it seems imperative to have one if you’re to be taken seriously. Hermes Hermessence was among the first in 2004, Armani Prive in 2005, CHANEL Didn’t codify in the Exclusives till 2007, DIOR brought out their initial La Collection Couturier Perfumer in 2010 and since then every jewellery, fashion, makeup and even car range has followed suit with varying degrees of success in product and sales.
When asking this question I thought I’d bought a LOT more various brands than I have. In fact it sits around the five brands mark.
When I saw the bottles it was love at first sight. I yearned to own one intensely. At the time they were selling for AUD$200 and I thought that was excruciatingly expensive. Little did I know that that was a bargain and they now command over half that again. So my bottle and back up of Cuir Amethyst were bought from FB Sale Docs.
Jin and my first holiday together in 2013 was a whistlestop tour of Europe by plane, train and automobile. We hit capital cities and a few outposts of some of Europe’s most famous tourist destinations. It was in Prague that we smelled and fell in love with the Mathilde Laurent signed Les Heures de Cartier. Jin was appalled at the price and wanted a sample of his L’Heure Brilliant VI Cartier but there were none to be had across Europe and he certainly wasn’t going to shell out that kind of cash for something tried only on shopping sprees. I’m much more impulsive and bought L’Heure Convoiteé II Cartier on the spot. A quick decision I’ve never regretted and wear. Since then I bought Jin’s L’Heure Brilliant VI and L’Heure Mysterieuse XII on FB Sale Docs.
When I first cam,e across the world of internet perfumistahood in 2010/11 the chatter often turned, as it still does, to the CHANEL Les Exclusives line. There is something so refined and luxurious about them. Only a couple are in your face fragrant but all of them smell of the understated glam we have read about in books, seen in cinema and on TV and smelled wafting past us in the very best of venues. I know about 90% of that is CHANEL’s marketing but the other 10% is pure, unadulterated perfection. The laziest and worst of the Les Exclusives line dwarfs almost everything else in the department store. I have Coromandel, Bois des Iles, Misia, and No 22 in EdT, plus BOY in EdP from CHANEL. Also 1932 and Jersey in parfum bought unopened from a FB Sale Doc.
These are my most cherished by far. I’m not going to tell you what I have but it’s most of the ones released pre 2018 and a couple since. The magnetic cap, hefty cylindrical bottle, fabulous fragrances and all round excellence makes me happy to part with my money.
I feel I must come clean. While I adore the Hermessence range and wear them regularly I only own the 15ml Travel Bottles. Admittedly I own nearly the whole range in them but I am madly in love with the ease of owning them in this size and being able to throw a couple in my wetpack and run out the door to the airport. Totally secure in the knowledge that I will smell amazing on this holiday. Also, will I ever go through more than 15ml? Only had to rebuy Vanille Galante and Cuir d’Ange so far.