Ambre Russe by Parfums d’Empire 2003 and New Music

Hey you Mad Perfume Crazed Freakazoids,

It’s Friday. YAY!!

Ambre Russe by Parfums d’Empire 2003

Ambre Russe by Marc-Antoine Corticchiato

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe fragranticaFragrantica

Fragrantica gives these featured accords:
Top: Champagne, vodka
Middle: Tea, cinnamon, coriander, birch, juniper, Russian leather
Base: Incense, musk, amber

We have done a Parfum d’Empire expose back in May, we talked about Marc-Antoine Corticchiato the face and creative director and we also did some mini reviews of some of the line. I wanted to keep Ambre Russe in reserve though for its own feature because it is so special.

Ambre Russe is a legendary rock star of a fragrance. Big, rich, boozy, tenacious and completely spellbinding. Marc-Antoine Corticchiato of wonderful Parfum d’Empire (<<JUMP) has made a masterpiece. The day that the samples arrived last year this was the first fragrance I tried. That night I was online ordering a 50ml (only 100ml online now) and it has been awaiting its opening ceremony till this week. How could I have let this amazing fragrance sit in its box?

Interestingly, I feel very few of the written notes here. I get booze but to my nose the champagne and vodka feel like brandy, the tea and spices feel like a rose accord, with the crispness of some stem and leaf which must be the birch and juniper, Russian Leather? I get pipe tobacco, not in the bag but in the pipe after tamping as the flame first touches with its rim of pre-smoked ash, redolent of huffy clubs and high end tailoring but completely unisex. The dry down, which is still powering away 3pm next day from a 6pm double spritz, finally gives me what I would expect from these written notes; amber, musk and deep religious incense. I have had 2 people say that it reminds them of musk sticks at this late stage, sweet musk and vanilla tempered by the coolness of the incense.

This little bit of magic is a real head turner, sillage is excellent. You are guaranteed comments and compliments. I wore this to work 3 nights this week and had two plus compliments and more questions each night. Not a sexually alluring fragrance, this one is bare faced cheek and haughty grandeur in equal measure. Don’t wear it to dinner without a 2 hour preamble or you won’t taste your food properly.

Parfum d’Empire

Parfum d’Empire has an awesome sample program 13 2ml samples including postage only 22€ to the world! The 100ml bottles are all extremely well priced for a niche company of this quality too.

SOME GREAT NEW MUSIC

Two Door Cinema Club are back with brand new single, Sleep Alone. It is the debut single off the bands second album ‘Beacon’ due for release this September. I stole this from the amazing KeelanFoley new music site.

I loved this cruisey music and video so much I stole it from nambiblog

Do you have a Parfum d’Empire favourite? What is it and why?

I hope you all have a safe and fun weekend.

33 comments on “Ambre Russe by Parfums d’Empire 2003 and New Music

1. I keep forgetting that it’s winter Down Under and not summer. Amber Russe is the perfect sweater for those cold nights. I can’t wait to be able to bring out my fall and winter scents… ok, no rush. I still am loving summer. Maybe just one cold day? Thanks P.

2. nambiblog says:

Thanks for tagging me 😉

3. Tarleisio says:

Once upon a time, I absolutely hated, detested and LOATHED ambers. It was the fastest way for me to say blergh! Then, it just so happened that I happened upon Ambre Sultan (not your usual amber) and…I’ve loved them very much since! Ambre Russe (as well as that PdE sample kit) is on my wishlist of Spectacular Ambers to try…I can also recommend (perfumista secret) Rumi, by Neil Morris (spicy, luscious benzoin/incense amber) and Histoires des Parfums Ambre 114. And in the Cheap Thrill Department – Anné Pliska…a gorgeous orange+amber! Great post, darling! xo

I really-really-really like Ambre Russe and will probably add it to my collection once my big sample is gone. I still think that Dior’s Mitzah is even more beautiful but there should be place for both of them in my collection, right? 🙂

• I have to get back to you on Mitzah. I think I have it here somewhere.
      He He
      Portia x

• Undina says:

Can you check if you have it? Because if not I’ll include it into your package (sorry, it’ll go out only next Monday, I was too busy this week) – I’m really curious what you think about these two in comparison.
        As for me, I’m almost positive that I want to get a bottle of Mitzah – I’m just waiting for it not to be 45C in Las Vegas (the only place from where I can order it in the US). But I might still go for a FB of Ambre Russe after it!

• I totally have it Undina. Just took me a while to locate. Next week I’ll do a sniff off. I’m intrigued.

5. ana says:

Love Ambre Russe and also Wazamba from the same brand. Why? because both are simply gorgeous,full bodied fragrances, luscious,luxurious, bound to be noticed.They are unapologetically beautiful and they know it

6. Hi P, you lemming inducer! I want to try this and Wazumba. I’ve spent my perfume budget for the next two months so I will have to delay the gratification 🙂

• Welcome to the world of the Fragrance Junkie. I wish now I’d bought 100ml so I could send you a bit but I am jealously hoarding my remaining 47ml. He he.
      I bet you have a months worth of unsniffed samples lying around though. I know i do.

You totally are a lemming inducer! This sounds great. I’ve looked at it a few times and even put it in my sample cart once or twice but never got it. I was worried it was one of those nasty ambers instead of one of those yummy ones.

8. Like Sheila, big amber hater here, but Ambre Russe is so good…Corticchiato is a big talent, all of his creations range from interesting to pure genius. Still my favourite creation of his is Fougere Bengale. So textured and manages to smell like totally un-perfumey. It is a force of nature.

9. lucasai says:

I tried Ambre Rosse some time ago and I thought it was really good, but it’s not exactly right up my alley. My favourite from Parfum d’Empire line is Iskander and Eau de Gloire.

10. Zubi d'Nova / Melissa de Blok says:

I also bought a 50 ml bottle immediately, but this one is a chameleon! Nowadays I get only the vodka note – no more amber! I am all for an artistic chameleon, but the vodka note makes me sick. 🙁 I’m hoping that it’s my hormones and that the delicious yumminess I first liked on it will come back. Until then I’ll keep trying by spraying timidly on a covered body part first. 😛

Lovely review!

My fave is Aziyade, which is on my “die without” list. That cola-sweet note – oh! <3

• They are great perfumers aren’t they. It sounds like your Ambre Russe may have turned due to seeing some sunlight or heat. Is that possible? I hope not and that it comes back to gorgeous for you.

• Zubi d'Nova / Melissa de Blok says:

No, it’s kept in the dark in a cool drawer 🙁 I have read quite a few reviews that this one changes a lot and is quite the chameleon. So I shall grit my teeth and bear it a few more wearings, and then decide whether it will go to someone else.

• Zubi d'Nova / Melissa de Blok says:

Today, wore Wazamba from my sample, which I like but has something missing… Decided to spritz some Ambre Russe on the drydown, and WOAH! AMBER! That sweetness could be too much but it’s an improvement on the vodka note. Perhaps this means I NEED a bottle of Wazamba? I think so….