Most Reached For Fragrances 2013: Portia

Most Reached For Fragrances 2013: Portia

FG Ambre Ceruleen FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Ambre Ceruleen by Huitieme Art Parfumes EdP

This was a Scent Bar purchase while in LA for the ScentSation Bus tour in May this year with Tom Pease. Ambre Ceruleen is a sweet amber as comfortable as an old pair of jeans that fit you perfectly and have softened into your shape. It has an excellent life length, 7+ hours on me, with good projection and sillage.

Amoureuse FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Amoureuse by Parfums DelRae EdP

Lily, jasmine, tuberose, honey and cardamom all together in a sensual, sweaty, slightly rank waft of gorgeous. Every time I wear Amoureuse it’s like a glamour assault on my senses and it gets loads of compliments too. I don’t understand why this terrific, well priced, beautifully blended range is not top of more perfumistas love lists.

Bellodgia FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Bellodgia by Caron EdT, EdP, Parfum, Oil

I am hoping to get to the Caron store in Paris in Jan/Feb. Does anyone know if they do bath products? The only thing that could make this crisp and wanton carnation better is to be up to my neck in bubbles of it in the bath. I love the Caron base, it sits beautifully on my skin radiating warmth and invitation, safety and feral attack. It’s so far from anything that you can buy in department stores nowadays that just for its differences alone it gathers compliments.

Coco FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Coco by CHANEL EdT, EdP, Parfum

Coco is the naughty sensualist, the oriental blockbuster that can cut a swathe through a room. I love spritzing Coco and lying on the lounge playing Words With Friends (TubbyB9 if you want a game), huffing and cogitating simultaneously. It also gets a spritz for nights out, excellent dinner companion because by the time you have sat to eat it is a murmur playing a siren call style backbeat to everything else. Killer.

Fancy Nights Jessica simpson FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Fancy Nights by Jessica Simpson EdP, Lotion

This el-cheapo celebuscent is one of my go-to perfumes. It is a milkier, dirtier, longer lasting Shalimar sister. Excellent bed scent that is used by a couple of my perfumista friends to send them to the land of nod. It is a wonderful body scent but also good for sheet and pillow fragrancing and considering how inexpensive Fancy Nights is there is never a question of saving it for best.

Liberte by Cacharel FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Liberte by Cacharel EdP

Yes, I know. Discontinued, cheap as chips, everyone slates it. Good. I will gather my discount stockpile and wear it alone. Liberte has the most fabulous sizzling citrus I’ve ever had the pleasure to wear. It’s bold and silly and festive. I reach for the crazy orange pillar at least once a week and enjoy the fizzy, fuzzy madness that is Liberte.

Feeling Good Michael Buble  Aqua Allegoria Lys Soleia Guerlain Fragrantica

Photo Stolen Fragrantica

Lys Soleia (Aqua Allegoria) by Guerlain EdT

To remember spring or to enjoy the summer I think the most delightful Aqua Allegoria in  the Guerlain line is Lys Soleia. The lily, Ylang, Citrus fruit and vanilla all collude in a cheerful sunshine bright burst of lovely. Wearable all year round and an excellent choice for gift giving, even a gift for yourself. Nowadays you can get Lys Soleia on the discounters for next to nothing too.

Olympic Amber Olympic Orchids FragranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Olympic Amber by Olympic Orchids EdP, Parfum

Warm, dusty, dry resins and patchouli, the amber is gorgeously rich and right from the outset feels like a VERY expensive fragrance and gives me warm fuzzy feelings of love and safety. Not only do I regularly reach for it but I also gift it because it makes everyone smile.

Shalimar FagranticaPhoto Stolen Fragrantica

Shalimar by Guerlain in EdC, EdT, EdP, Parfum:

There is something thrilling yet comforting about spritzing or dabbing Shalimar. It was the fragrance of my Mum’s clique, has been worn by many of my friends and every time I wear it I love it so much. That sweet swirl of citrus, vanilla, leather and a bouquet are TO DIE FOR every time, every incarnation and strength, with the same rush of memory and anticipation.

Vanille Mona Di OrioPhoto Stolen Mona Di Orio

Vanille by Mona di Orio EdP

When I think go-to fragrance I like to smell good, want an interesting but ultimately wearable ride, love to have a few surprises for those rare days when I can take a leisurely amount of time to mentally document the progression and note parade but also need it to be spritz and go comfortable for the rest of my life. The boozy citrus, woods, vanilla and resins in Vanille don’t give me a typical vanilla ride but something softer, easier and ultimately more wearable on a daily basis fragrance.

Well, I’ve rambled on for far too long now it’s your turn, what did you reach for most in 2013?

Here are a bunch of other BEST LISTS: Persolaise :: The Candy Perfume Boy :: Eyeliner On A Cat :: Fragrant Moments :: PerfumeShrine :: The Fragrant Man :: I Smell Therefore I Am :: Smelly Blog :: Olfactoria’s Travels

44 comments to Most Reached For Fragrances 2013: Portia

1. Masha says:

Ha! I went through a whole bottle of Liberte’ while I was still living in Europe, it was my pick-me-up scent when I had the winter doldrums. I was surprised it was discontinued so quickly. It was fun and I always got compliments! Now I have to try that Jessica Simpson green thingy….

Hey there Masha,
      I love the fun fizziness of Liberte and can completely understand how you used it as your mood fixer in the darkness of Europe’s winters.
      That green Jessica Simpson thingy ROCKS!!

2. Katrina says:

Great post Portia – nice to get a sneak peek at your recent perfumes of choice. My most worn in 2013 would be Fancy Nights & Truth or Dare Naked thanks to you and Katy Perry Killer Queen, Britney Spears Curious & Kate Moss Vintage.

I have been repeatedly spritzing Killer Queen whenever I see it in the stores. It is curiously addictive.
      He He he, those Fancy Nights are irresistible huh? As is dirty ole Madonna. Glad you love them.

3. Saffyishere says:

Killer Queen is on my radar atm too. The bottle ‘speaks to me’ and the scent intrigues. I haven’t got Fancy Nights, only the pink Fancy, which sends me to sleep regularly. I have used many samples this year. However I’ve spritzed Theorema a lot and emptied a bottle of Rocaille de Fleur

WOW! Emptied a bottle of Rocaille de Fleur. Nice work. I have emptied some decants this year but not one bottle, though I’m half way through Amoureuse.

4. Esperanza says:

Wonderful list Portia ! I have seen Bellodgia Bodylotion on Dutch ebay but I do not know if is from a discontinued stock. Love MdO Vanille and that is on my list as well, as is Shalimar Ode a la Vanille 2010, L’artisan Bois Farine to sleep with, L’Heure bleue in different incarnations like Parfumerie Generale Bois Copaiba, SL Cuir Mauresque, Stendhal Ambre Sublime body lotion, Hermes Jour d’Hermes bodylotion. Will look if I can find the Fancy Nights. Great suggestion!

WOW! You have a pretty good list too. Do you mean that those fragrances are L’Heure Bleue sisters? I am remiss and must try them. Wearing LB right now.

5. Tora says:

Good to know your favorites, Portia! As a die hard amber lover, my ears perked up when you talked about Amber Ceruleen. Now on my must try list! When I need an easy comfort amber, I reach for my 114 by Histoires de Parfums. Yes it is a bit powdery but so so comfortable, like my fuzzy sheepskin slippers. Lately I have been reaching mostly for Mona di Orio’s Oud, L’Artisan’s Seville a L’Aube, Fille en Aiguilles, Felanilla, Ambre Russe, and APLS. Thanks for your lovely list!

Tora,
      I LOVE 114. It often gets neglected in this house though because I have a decant that is hidden away in a cupboard, thanks for the reminder I’ll grab it out.
      Your list is also filled with my faves, I think we may be scent twins

6. FeralJasmine says:

Loved reading your list, Portia! I was on a gardenia bender this summer, and ended up with bottles of DSH Pink Gardenia and Olivine by Olivine as well as my previous favorites. This fall and winter it’s been amber all the way, and I’ve snared bottles of SSS Winter Woods and Ambre Noir, and Arabian Oud’s Kalemat, and have a lovely bottle of Ambre Aurea on the way. And whenever I’m undecided, I grab Mona’s Vanille, one of the loveliest scents in my collection.

YAY! I’m so happy that other people love Vanille as much as I do. What an excellent line MdO is.
      Ambre Noir is DIOR yes? I like it VERY MUCH if it’s what I’m thinking of.
      Portia x

7. FeralJasmine says:

I think the Dior is Ambre Nuit. I was referring to SSS’s Ambre Noir, which I adore. I am hoping very much that large bottles show up on the website soon, because I NEED one. Really NEED it.

Ooops! My bad.
      I have 2 bottles of SSS that I had a buddy send me.Tabac Aurea and Rose Musc. They are as yet unopened but I will do so soon,

Thank you for this great list, Portia! Several are favorites of mine too. I am enjoying reading all the lists. I have missed so much!

My ten go-tos this year, in order of approximate usage, are: Agar Aura Al Jazzab, Amouge Interlude Man, Bourbon French Oriental Rose, Vintage Basile, Olympic Orchids Elektra (used under the old name), Aloes of Ish Marium, Queen Latifah Queen, Anat Fritz Tzora, Versace Blonde and vintage Fidji.

9. Tatiana says:

Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, No.19, Coco, Coromandel. Are we seeing a trend here? Bottega Venetta, Parfum d’Empire Equistrius, Amouge Memoir and Lyric. Last but not least Hermes L’Ambre des Merveilles.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a very, very, very Happy New Year! Thanks for all the wonderful posts this past year!

Thank YOU Tatiana for being on board so often,
      Love a CHANEL fest! and you may know that Bottega Venetta has been my partners signature scent since the start of the year. Great choice.

10. Kafkaesque says:

Very nice list, my dear. Your description of Olympic Amber by Olympic Orchids made me sit up! I definitely want to try some after the mention of patchouli and resins. As for Coco, the vintage version was a long-time favorite of mine, almost a signature at times. Such a lovely scent.

Merry Christmas, Portia. BTW, your Word with Friends enthusiasm made grin. But your choice of posting name seems hardly suitable for the very glam Portia! :)
    Kafkaesque recently posted…2013 in Review: Best of & Favorites ListsMy Profile

He He he! We laughed about that WWF handle for a while. I am very portly and apparently wouldn’t hurt a fly so my friends added two descriptors of me and I thought it kind of sweet.
      If you are a fan of Coco Vintage then we have to be friends, beautiful, full, exquisitely blended and all for Department Store prices. The world has changed Kafka.
      Portia x

11. maggiecat says:

My next FB, and first amber FB will likely be PG L’Ombre Fauve – wearing it is like snuggling into a soft, warm, yet somehow figure-flattering sweater. While holding a bunny. And a couple of kittens. And now I want to try d’Orio’s Vanille too…Merry Christmas to all and thank you, APJ, for such delightful posts from around the globe!

My most reached for scents this year were Womanity, Fille en Aiguilles, Coco, Fancy Nights, Black, and Cardinal. I’m sure there were a few others but without going upstairs and looking these are the ones that came to mind.

YAY! We snapped on two in your list Poodle. Woo Hoo!
      How I love Womanity too, that was a BIG surprise.

13. Julie F says:

I, too, love Olympic Amber. That dusty note (is that labdanum?)gets me every time.

Hey there Julie F
      I think the dust is ij the patchouli, it may be the labdanum too. I am not really schooled enough in the two to tell you with certainty though. Yes, it is killer, Ellen Covey = GENIUS!

14. Mary K says:

So many good ones listed here! I must try that Olympic Amber, as it sounds like it would be nice for the cold winter we’re experiencing here in the US Midwest.

This year, I wore Laura Tonato Fior D’Arancio, Caron Farnesiana and Bond No. 9 I Love New York Earth Day a lot in warmer weather. Now I am wearing Histoires de Parfums 114, Lubin Korrigan, L’Antechambre Le Speculoos and Marie St Pierre B most often.

I have only tried 114 and Farnesia (I think I have some old parfum around, a ml from a decant store, I need to look it up)
      Oh yes, and Olympic Amber is very reasonable priced too.

15. Jillie says:

Just thrilled that you love Caron (I remember you liking Infini which is my favourite). I have been wearing their Parfum Sacre a lot this autumn as its gorgeous incense is very comforting. During the summer it was PdN’s L’Eau a la Folie for its zingy fruitiness (I always call it Femme and Diorella’s lovechild), and now that Christmas is almost here I am revelling in my go-to vanilla, PG’s Ilang Ivohibe, which is creamy loveliness topped with flowers – yummy.

Hey Jillie,
      Parfum Sacre is another one I love from Caron. To be honest their back catalogue is a who’s who of fave fragrances for me. Infini Parfum sits on my desk and gets occasional evening dabs. I am loving it sick.

16. Fifi says:

I’ve been wanting to try something from Caron and you’ve convinced me Bellodgia is the one! My go-to in 2013 was Amouage Jubilation XV. My “nose” is not sophisticated; I just knew it smelled good, comforting but not too comfortable, and people tended to lean in closer when I wore it. A co-worker whose nose is wonderfully sensitive detected the rose element, and I liked it even more! I also wore old-formula Norell (purchased on eBay) when I wanted a change. Here’s to more beautiful smells in 2014!

Heya Fifi,
      Your nose may not be sophisticated but you have TERRIFIC taste. Many more lovely smell in 2014.
      Merry Christmas.

17. ElizaD says:

Botega Veneta for me as well, rounded out with Gucci Envy (the original…not the Envy me), Bas de Soie, and Eau des Merveilles. And sometimes Chloe, in the old peach shaped bottle, when I wanted something silly and nostalgic.

Chloe was something my Mum gave to my sister one year and then they shared it ElizaD, I have great memories of them wearing it for a while.

18. Tara C says:

I have been enjoying Micallef’s Denis Durand Couture that I won at Scentsation, as well as Dior Mitzah and Amouage Fate Woman a lot. Lys Soleia has been on my wish list forever, time to spring for a bottle I think, and I really want to try that Ambre Ceruleen too! Happy holidays!

Hey there TaraC,
      We were all so JEALOUS of your Micallef’s Denis Durand Couture win at ScentSation. I’m glad it’s turned into a favourite.
      Ahhhh, Mitzah. How could they discontinue her?

I haven’t done my list yet (I need a full year, so the stats will be done early in January) but I can clearly see that our tastes are very different: from your list in common we have only Coco and Vanille – and even those are common just in “like”, I doubt I wore those too much. Still enjoy reading your list.
    Undina recently posted…The Scent of Music: Carol of the BellsMy Profile

Hi there Undina,
      thank goodness for different tastes or these lists would be super boring and only 4 items long. Can’t wait to read what you wore most in the new year. 2014, rapidly approaching. We are so lucky to be here to enjoy it.

20. Alice says:

So pleased to see some love fro Ambre Ceruleen, one of my very few purchases of 2013, and a favourite. I anticipate it being a standby for easing me from winter into spring! I also have enjoyed Patricia de Nicolai musc intense, which seems to transcend seasons.

YAY Alice. So few people love the Ambre Ceruleen in print, I’m glad to have found another who gets it.
      There is a Musc Intense sample here somewhere, I’ll look for it.

21. Alice says:

yes, very few comments, and even those are a bit ‘meh’; they just don’t know what they are missing!

22. […] Also see “the best of 2013″ lists by Birgit, Thomas, Jordan, Elena, Persolaise, Portia […]

23. […] Australian Perfume Junkies […]